assistant professor - management and organization department
Ph.D., Northwestern University
M.S., Northwestern University
B.S., Universita' Bocconi
Dr. Giorgi’s research uses cultural and institutional analysis to examine social evaluations, framing, and change in the context of securities analysis, food movements, environmental non-profits, the Catholic Church, and the automobile industry.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- Faculty Fellowship, Carroll School of Management, 2012-2013
- Art Stinchcombe Dissertation Prize, Social Interaction and Organizing at Northwestern (SION), Northwestern University, honorable mention/finalist, May 2010.
- PhD Sustainability Academy Best Paper Award, Richard Ivey School of Business at The University of Western Ontario and the Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability, October 22-29, 2009.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Grant, Targeted Watershed Project, grant for a study on stakeholders’ management on environmental innovation in Chicago, 2009-2010.
- Dispute Resolution Research Center Grant, Northwestern University, grant for study on cooperation among environmental non-profit organizations in Chicago ($5,000), 2008
- Giorgi, Simona and Klaus Weber. 2014. Making the Cut: Framing and Audience Appreciation in the Context of Investment Advice, Administrative Science Quarterly. (forthcoming)
- Giorgi, Simona, Christi Lockwood, and Mary Ann Glynn. The Many Faces of Culture: Making Sense of 30 Years of Research on Culture in Organization Studies, Academy of Management Annals. (forthcoming)
- Giorgi, Simona, and Mary Ann Glynn. The Aesthetics of Data: Qualitative Analysis of Visual and Other Non-textual Forms of Data. In K.D. Elsbach and R.M. Kramer (eds.), Doing Innovative Qualitative Research in Organizations: Paths to Cool Ideas and Interesting Papers, Routledge, Taylor, and Francis Group, Organization and Management Series. (forthcoming)
- Giorgi, Simona, Margaret E. Guider, and Jean Bartunek. 2014. Productive Resistance: A Study of Change, Emotions, and Identity in the Context of the Apostolic Visitation of U.S. Women Religious, 2008-2012. In Nelson Phillips, Michael Lounsbury, and Paul Tracey (eds.), Religion and Organization Theory, Research in the Sociology of Organizations, 41, 259-300.
- Glynn, Mary Ann and Simona Giorgi. 2013. Taking the Cultural Turn: Reading Cultural Sociology. Academy of Management Review, 28, 466-470.
- Glynn, Mary Ann, Simona Giorgi, and Christi Lockwood. 2012. Organization Culture. Oxford Bibliographies in Management (Editor: Ricky Griffin). New York: Oxford University Press, http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199846740/obo-9780199846740-0059.xml.
- Glynn, Mary Ann, Simona Giorgi, and Andrea Tunarosa. 2012. Organizational Learning and the Learning Organization. Encyclopedia of Management Theory, SAGE Reference project, 440-444.
- Rao, Hayagreeva and Simona Giorgi. 2006. Code Breaking: How Entrepreneurs Exploit Cultural Logics to Generate Institutional Change. Research in Organizational Behavior, 27, 279-314.
Professor Giorgi is a member of the Academy of Management and the American Sociological Association and acts as a reviewer for the Academy of Management Review, Administrative Science Quarterly, America Sociological Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Organization Science, Organization Studies, ad-hoc reviewer, Research in the Sociology of Organizations, and Strategic Management Journal.