professor and chairperson - information systems department
Ph.D., MIT Sloan School of Management
M.S., University of Michigan
B.S., University of Michigan
Dr. Rob Fichman’s main research interests concern digital innovation, including the factors affecting the diffusion and assimilation of new IT, and the transformative effects that digital innovations have on individuals, organizations, markets, and society. He has published broadly on these topics in Communications of the ACM, California Management Review, Decision Sciences Journal, IEEE Computer, Harvard Business Review, Information Systems Research, Journal of the Association of Information Systems, Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Sloan Management Review and other scholarly journals.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
Dr. Fichman currently serves as Senior Editor at Information Systems Research. He has also served as Senior Editor at Journal of the Association of Information Systems and Associate Editor at Management Science and MISQ.
- Fichman R. G., Dos Santos, B., Zheng, Z., “Digital Innovation as a Fundamental and Powerful Concept in the Information Systems Curriculum,” MIS Quarterly, forthcoming.
- Fichman R. G., Kohli, R., Krishnan, R. and Kane, G.C. (September 2011). “The Role of Information Systems in Healthcare: Current Research and Future Trends,” lead article by the senior editors in Information Systems Research, special issue on Healthcare IT.
- Fichman, R. G. and Nambisan, S. (2010). “Deriving Business Value from IT Applications in Product Development: A Complementarities-Based Model” in Information Technology and Product Development, Satish Nambisan (Ed.), Annals of Information Systems Series, Vol. 5, Springer.
- Kane, G.C., Fichman, R.G., Gallaugher, J. and Glaser, J. (November 2009). “Community Relations 2.0,” Harvard Business Review.
- Kane, G.C. and Fichman R.G. “The Shoemaker’s Children: Using Wikis for Information Systems Teaching, Research, and Publication,” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 1, 1-17, 2009.
- Tiwana, A., Keil, M., and Fichman, R. G., (2006). "IS Project Continuation in Escalation Situations: A Real Options Model,” Decision Sciences Journal, 37(3) 357-391. (Best Paper Award, 2006.)
- Fichman R. G., Keil M. and Tiwana, A. (2005) “Beyond Valuation: ‘Options Thinking’ in IT Project Management”, California Management Review.
- Fichman, R. G., (2004) “Going Beyond the Dominant Paradigm for IT Innovation Research: Emerging Concepts and Methods”, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 5(8).
- Fichman, R. G, (2004) "Real Options and IT Platform Adoption: Implications for Theory and Practice", Information Systems Research,15(2) 132-154.
- Fichman, R.G., (2001) "The Role of Aggregation in the Measurement of IT-Related Organizational Innovation", MIS Quarterly, 25(4).
- Fichman, R.G. and Kemerer, C.F., (1999) "The Illusory Diffusion of Innovation: An Examination of Assimilation Gaps," Information
Systems Research, 10(3), 255-275.
- Fichman, R.G. and Kemerer, C.F., (1997) "The Assimilation of Software Process Innovations: An Organizational Learning Perspective," Management Science, 43(1), 1345-1363.
Prior to getting his Ph.D., Dr. Fichman worked for several years as an IS applications development manager for a leading telecommunications company, and as an IT industry consultant.
Please note: These files are Microsoft Word formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Word Doc Viewer.