professor - information systems department
Fulton Hall 410B
Ph.D., M.A., Brown University
M.L.S., Simmons College
B.A., Emmanuel College
Dr. Mary Cronin’s current research focuses on embedded, connected product intelligence, or smart products. This work has resulted in a 2010 book published by Cambridge University Press, conference presentations and a number of online publications. Her research in progress analyzes the impact of intelligent, wirelessly connected products on industry competition and transformation as well as the consumer privacy implications for remote monitoring of product usage, particularly in the health, medical and automotive sectors.
This smart product research extends Dr. Cronin’s earlier work and pioneering publications in the mid-1990s on Internet business strategy and the adoption of E-Commerce, and in the early 2000s on the evolution of mobile handsets and devices as wireless, always connected platforms for consumer and enterprise applications. Her books have been translated into Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and several other languages.
Dr. Cronin developed the first courses taught at Boston College on the Internet and E-Commerce and she still teaches E-Commerce at the undergraduate and MBA level with continued enthusiasm for this ever-changing field. She has also developed and taught electives on Mobile and Wireless business and International Information Management.
- Smart Products, Smarter Services: Strategies for Embedded Control, Cambridge University Press, 2010
- Developing MMS Applications: Multimedia Messaging, McGraw-Hill, NY: 2003 (with Scott B. Guthery)
- Mobile Application Development, McGraw-Hill, NY: 2001 (with Scott B. Guthery)
- Unchained Value: The New Logic of Digital Business, Harvard Business School Press, 2000
- Banking and Finance on the Internet, John Wiley, 1997 (Editor)
- Global Advantage on the Internet: From Corporate Connectivity to International Competitiveness, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1996
- The Internet Strategy Handbook: Lessons from the New Frontier of Business (Editor), Harvard Business School Press, 1996
- Electronic Commerce, Alliance for Converging Technologies, Toronto, 1996
- Doing More Business on the Internet, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1995
- Doing Business on the Internet: How the Electronic Highway Is Transforming American Companies, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1994