Andrew C. Boynton
john and linda powers family dean, carroll school of management
Ph.D., M.B.A., Kenan-Flagler School of Business, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
B.S., Boston College
As Dean of Boston College’s Carroll School of Management, Andy Boynton collaborates with a talented group of colleagues to create a management school that excels in teaching and research. The Carroll School faculty and staff are committed to transforming students to become ethical and effective leaders. The faculty is comprised of scholarly leaders across all disciplines whose work is published in leading academic and practitioner publications.
In addition to leading the Carroll School, Dean Boynton lends his expertise to a number of University projects that cross boundaries at Boston College. He recently co-chaired a committee of deans, faculty and university administrators to renew and revitalize the undergraduate core curriculum. He also works with departments at Boston College outside of the Carroll School, leading workshops to help shape their visions and innovative strategies.
Dean Boynton also has an active research agenda. His blog on leadership and innovation is a regular feature on Forbes.com, and his two most recent books, The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen and Virtuoso Teams: Lessons from Teams That Changed Their Worlds, received critical acclaim.
Prior to joining Boston College, Dean Boynton was a professor of strategy at the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Lausanne, Switzerland for over 10 years. At the IMD, he led a faculty team and was program director of one of the world’s top ten Executive Global MBA programs, as recognized by BusinessWeek. He has also served on the MBA faculty at the Kenan-Flagler School of Business at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business.
Dean Boynton also has impact in the real world of global business. He advises on leadership, strategy, and organization design for organizations around the world and at major conferences.
- Andy Boynton, with William Bole, "Four Big Lessons From Stephen Colbert, Tina Fey And Other Improv Masters," Forbes.com, November 5, 2015.
- Andy Boynton, with William Bole, "Unilever's Paul Polman: CEOs Can't Be 'Slaves' To Shareholders," Forbes.com, July 20, 2015.
- Andy Boynton, with William Bole, "Three Potentially Fatal Words: 'My Gut Says'," Forbes.com, June 16, 2015.
- To read more from Powers Family Dean Boynton, visit his Forbes blog.
- Andy Boynton and Bill Fischer, with William Bole, The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make them Happen (Jossey-Bass, 2011).
- Andy Boynton and Bill Fischer, Virtuoso Teams: Lessons from Teams That Changed Their Worlds (Financial Times-Prentice Hall, 2005).
- Bart Victor and Andy Boynton, Invented Here: Maximizing Your Organization’s Internal Growth and Profitability (Harvard Business School Press, 1998).
- Gerald Kane, Sam Ransbotham and Andy Boynton, "Is high performance contagious among knowledge workers?" forthcoming.