Jean M. Bartunek RSCJ
robert a. and evelyn j. ferris chair, professor
management and organization department
management and organization department
Ph.D., M.A., University of Illinois at Chicago
B.A., Maryville University (St. Louis, MO), cum laude
Dr. Jean Bartunek's primary interests center around academic-practitioner relationships and organizational change. She is interested in multiple dimensions of links between theory, research, and practice, including collaborative research, how knowledge is shared across boundaries, and relationships that transcend research. In addition, she studies multiple dimensions of the processes of organizational change, especially relationships between change agents and recipients, and interactions within as across these groups.
- 2005–present, Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science
- 2014–present, Associate Editor, Academy of Management Review
- 1994–1997, Co-editor, "Non-traditional Research" section, Journal of Management Inquiry
- 1998–2002, Associate Editor, Advances in Qualitative Organizational Research
- 2012–2014, Associate Editor, Academy of Management Learning and Education
- 1993, 2001, Co-editor, Special Research Forums in the Academy of Management Journal
- 2007, 2012, Co-editor, Special Topic Forums in the
Academy of Management Review
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- 2015 Doctor of Business Administration (Honoris Causa), University of Bath
- 2015–2017 Deputy Dean, Fellows of the Academy of Management
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2015 Best Reviewer award, Academy of Management Journal
- 2012 Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa), University of Roehampton
- 2009 Academy of Management Career Distinguished Service award
- 2008–2010 Visiting international fellow of the Advanced Institute of Management Research (UK)
- 2008 Best Paper award, Human Relations
- 2006 Best Paper award, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science
- 2005, 2006, 2007 Best Reviewer award, Academy of Management Journal
- 1999 Fellow of the Academy of Management
Selected recent articles
- Balogun, J., Bartunek, J. M., & Do, B. 2015. Senior managers’ sensemaking and responses to strategic change. Organization Science, 26: 960-979.
- Bartunek, J. M., & Woodman, R. W. 2015. Beyond Lewin: Toward a temporal approximation of organization development and change. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 2: 157–82.
- Bartunek, J. M. & Rynes, S. L. (2014). Academics and practitioners are alike and unlike: The paradoxes of academic-practitioner relationships, Journal of Management, 40: 1181 – 1201.
- Giorgi, S., Guider, M. E., & Bartunek, J. M. In Press. Productive resistance: a study of change, emotions, and identity in the context of the Apostolic Visitation of U.S. Women Religious, 2008-2012. In N. Phillips, M Lounsbury & P. Tracey (Eds.), Research in the Sociology of Organizations.
- Rynes, S. L., Bartunek, J. M., Dutton, J. E., & Margolis, J. D. In Press. Care and compassion through an organizational lens; Opening up new possibilities. Academy of Management Review.
- Leung, O., & Bartunek, J. M. 2012. Enabling Evidence Based Management: Bridging the gap between academics and practitioners. In D. M. Rousseau (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Evidence-Based Management: Companies, Classrooms, and Research: 165 – 180. New York: Oxford.
- Walsh, I. A., & Bartunek, J. M. 2012. Rising from the ashes: Appreciating and fostering post-death organizing . Organizational Dynamics, 41: 89-98.
- Bartunek, J. M., & Woodman, R. W. 2012. The spirits of organization development, Or why OD lives despite its pronounced death. In K. Cameron & G. Spreitzer (Eds), Handbook of Positive Organizational Scholarship, p. 727-736. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Bartunek, J. M., & Do, J. 2011. The sacralization of Christmas commerce. Organization, 18: 795-806.
- Walsh, I. A., & Bartunek, J. M. 2011. Cheating the Fates: Organizational foundings in the wake of demise. Academy of Management Journal 54: 1017-1044.
- Bartunek, J. M., Balogun, J., & Do, Bo. 2011. Considering planned change anew: Stretching large group interventions strategically, emotionally, and meaningfully. Academy of Management Annals, 5: 1 – 52.
- Bartunek, J. M., & Schein, E. H. 2011. Organization Development Scholar Practitioners: between Scholarship and Practice. In S. A. Mohrman & E. E. Lawler (Eds), Useful Research: Advancing Theory and Practice: 233 – 250. San Francisco: Berrett Koehler.
- Bartunek, J. M. 2011. Intergroup relationships and quality improvement in health care. BMJ: Quality and Safety. 20 (Suppl 1): i62 - i66
- Lynn, J., Owens, A. P. & Bartunek, J.M. 2011. Clarity and Strength of Implications for Practice in Medical Journal Articles: An Exploratory Analysis. BMJ: Quality and Safety. 20 (Suppl 1): i52 – i57.
- Bartunek, J. M., & Rynes, S. L. 2010. The construction and contribution of implications for practice: What’s in them and what might they offer? Academy of Management Learning and Education, 9: 100 – 117.
- Seo, M., Bartunek, J. M., & Barrett, L. F. 2010. The role of affective experience in work motivation: Test of a conceptual model. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31: 951–968.
- Livne-Tarandach, R., & Bartunek, J. M. 2009. A new horizon for organizational change and development scholarship: Connecting planned and emergent change. In R. Woodman & W. Pasmore (Eds.), Research in Organizational Change and Development, 17: 1-35. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Walsh, I. A., Bhatt, M., & Bartunek, J. M. 2009. Organizational knowledge creation in the Chinese context. Management and Organization Review, 5: 261 – 278.
- Bartunek, J. M., Huang, Z., & Walsh, I. 2008. The development of a process model of collective turnover. Human Relations, 61: 5 – 38.
- Bartunek, J. M. 2008. Insider/Outsider team research: The development of the approach and its meanings. In A. B. Shani, N. Adler, S. A. Mohrman, W. A. Pasmore, & B. Stymne (Eds.), Handbook of collaborative management research (pp. 73 – 91). Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Bartunek, J. M. 2007. Academic-practitioner collaboration need not require joint or relevant research: towards a relational scholarship of integration. Academy of Management Journal, 50, 1323-1333.
- Bartunek, J. M., Trullen, J., Immediato, S., & Schneider, F. 2007. Front and back stages of the diminished routinization of innovations: What innovation research makes public and organizational research finds behind the scenes. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 1, 295–314.
- Bartunek, J. M., Hinsdale, M. A., & Keenan, J. F. (Eds.). 2006. Church ethics and its organizational context: Learnings from the sex abuse scandal in the Catholic Church. Lanham, MD: Sheed and Ward, an imprint of Rowman & Littlefield.
- Bartunek, J. M. 2003. Organizational and Educational Change: The life and role of a change agent group. Mahwah, NJ: LawrenceErlbaum Associates.
- 2009–2012, Ethics Adjudication chair, Academy of Management
- 2004–2007, Chair of the Advisory committee, Academy of Management Journal
- 1998–2003, President of the Academy of Management and associated offices
- 1994–1997, Representative-at-large, Board of Governors of the Academy of Management