theatre department - morrissey college of arts and sciences
The Theatre Minor is intended for students with a serious interest in theatre who for one reason or another are not able to commit to fulfilling the requirements for the Theatre Major. Based on the same principles and structure as the Theatre Major, it aims to provide students with a broad-based theatre education that balances courses in theatre studies and theatre practice.
A Theatre Minor will complete the following courses and requirements:
- THTR 1172 : Dramatic Structure and Theatrical Process (or Introduction to Theatre, in special cases)
- THTR 1101 : Acting 1: Fundamentals of Performance
- THTR 1130 : Elements of Theatre Production I
- THTR 2275 : History of Theatre I OR THTR 2285 : History of Theatre II
- One upper-level Literature, Criticism, History course
- One upper-level Production/Performance course
- Three one-credit Production Labs (including at least one Prep Lab)
All courses for a Theatre Minor need to be chosen from the Theatre Department curriculum. Courses taken abroad, courses taken at other institutions, and Readings and Research/independent study courses will only count towards a Theatre Minor in rare and exceptional circumstances.
For Theatre Department courses with limited enrollments, Theatre Minors will be given access to a course AFTER Theatre Majors but BEFORE non-majors/minors. Status as a Theatre minor may also be a factor in determining actors, designers, and stage managers for Theatre Department productions.
Students who wish to declare a Theatre Minor should contact Crystal Tiala, Chair of the Theatre Department, with an e-mail indicating their interest and providing their Eagle ID number.