Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences

Faculty Resources

sociology department

This page is intended to let faculty know about common procedures, practices, and resources within the department and at BC.

Information Related to Courses

Course Design for New Instructors

The Center for Teaching Excellence has several web pages on course development, which are especially helpful for instructors who are new to teaching or new to BC.

To view courses

Sign into Agora Portal and click on Course Offering Schedule to get to a menu that's pretty self explanatory. You can also view courses on UIS. Click on the Q on the lower left of your screen, type 1 and enter, then type MC03 and enter.

To schedule courses

The Chair approves courses and Jean schedules them.

Core courses

For extensive information on core courses see the Core Curriculum website. We have two types. Social Science Core courses in Sociology include SOCY 1001 through SOCY 1099. Cultural Diversity Core status may be assigned to an undergraduate course at any level (Social Science Core, lower level electives, upper level electives, or mixed grad/undergrad). The Core Liaison (currently Gustavo Morello) needs to review and approve the syllabi for any new Core courses, or for any instructor who's teaching a Core course for the first time.

To order books

  • 98% of the faculty order their books online at the BC Bookstore web site. Each new user must enter her or his user ID and create a password to have access to online book ordering. Pages will come up requesting information about the department, course, and type of book. Fill out all the information and submit.
  • Once you've already taught, the Staff Assistant will give you a copy of the official textbook requisition form, which you can, if you prefer, fill out manually instead of ordering the books online. Once it's filled out you can fax it to the bookstore - 2-2808 - or hand deliver it to Carol Bisceglia. You can also E-mail Carol at with the details of the order.

It's a good idea to physically check the order in the bookstore two weeks before classes start. If there are any problems it will be too late to correct them once the semester starts.

Desk copies

Check the publisher's web site instructions to find out how these are made. To find the url and mailing address check the publisher's list, although your publisher may not be on it, in which case you’ll have to search for them on the Internet. You can also plug your information into a sample letter and either snail mail or email the result.

Coursepack ordering

Most faculty use course reserves. However, coursepacks can be ordered online at the same bookstore web site used to order books.

Course Reserves

Course reserves (electronic and hard copy) can be arranged at the library. Make sure you give them ample notice.

Course websites

Course websites generated through Canvas can be used in a variety of ways, for instance to give syllabi and other scheduling information to students in the class to display materials that would ordinarily be put into course packets or on reserve, or to host discussions on class topics.


The syllabus should be sent to the office staff prior to class. Samples of syllabi are given on the Office Hours and Syllabi section of our website.

Granting overrides

To grant an override, send an email to the student giving permission and telling the student to print up the email and bring it to McGuinn 426.

To view course rosters

Sign into Agora Portal and click on the Roster button next to your class.

Emailing your class

Your class email address will include your course number, section number, and the first initial of the semester: (for Spring) and (for Fall). Note that you must be emailing from a BC E-mail account in order for these addresses to work.

Equipment support

For video equipment support related to your class contact Classroom Support at 2-4219. To borrow equipment they need a 48 hour notice. Many classrooms have a cabinet which contains equipment and you can sign out a key from Media Technology to use it.


Written classroom exams must be administered unless the instructor has permission from the chair to use a take home exam or some other method. Students must take the exams in the blue books, which should be obtained from the Staff Assistant prior to exam time. Exam schedules and rooms will be assigned by the University and will be posted outside room 426. There's also a web site that lists exam schedules by category.


Students do their evaluations online near the end of every semester.


  • Grading guidelines are given on the Academic Policies and Procedures web site maintained by Student Services.
  • Grading must done online. Information on how to use the system is provided on the Grading Procedures web site, also maintained by Student Services.

Uploading or Deleting to eSyllabus

Use Firefox to upload a syllabus.

To view or upload a syllabus log on to Agora Portal. From the portal page you will need to input your username and password to access the "Faculty Home" screen. Select "My Services" and then "Course Information and Schedule" from the links listed under "Academics and Courses."

Enter the criteria specified under "Course Information and Schedule," including term, school, department, and course status. Be sure to select "all" for course status unless you want to see "open" courses only. Type in your last name in the "Instructor" section to find your courses without having to browse through your department's course listing. Once you have found your list of courses follow the steps listed below.

  • Click on the vertical bar to the left of the course column to open up the links and then hover over an icon for the description.
  • Click on the "Upload" icon which will bring you to the "Syllabus Maintenance" page. Use the "Browse" link to select the syllabus you would like upload from your computer. Click the Upload button. You should then see the "Syllabus Successfully Uploaded" message.
  • Choose the "Edit" icon if you have already uploaded your syllabus and would like to make some changes.
  • When the "Preview" icon is selected the syllabus will display in a pop-up window.
  • Click on the vertical bar to the left of the course column to close "Additional Information."

If you have any questions ask the Department Administrator or E-mail

Advising Undergraduates

See the Advising Sociology Undergraduates handbook for tips on how to be helpful to undergraduate students majoring in sociology.

Travel Reimbursements

Travel to conferences may be completely or partially funded by the A&S office under certain circumstances. See A&S Faculty Travel Reimbursement and the BC Policies and Procedures Manual for more detailed information about criteria and procedures.

Before leaving faculty members must fill out a Travel Request Form and submit it to the Chair for approval at least 6½ weeks before departure. Request a copy of the form from the office staff.

Within two weeks after their return, faculty should turn in their receipts to the main office along with their boarding passes and a Travel Expense Report that calculates the expenses. Once again, ask the staff personnel for an electronic version of the form that will automatically total your expenses. Receipts and boarding passes should be taped (NOT stapled) to a 8.5 x 11 sheet of copy paper. Follow the expense reimbursement guidelines below.

Expense Reimbursement Guidelines

All reimbursements are done the same way, except that if your trip or expense is NOT funded by the A&S office you don’t have to request the funds 6½ weeks in advance. You should tape your receipts to an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, fill out an expense report and submit it in the main office. Please indicate source of funding somewhere in the report.

In order to get reimbursed for any expense you need to follow these guidelines:

  • You must submit original receipts.
  • You need receipts that show that the item or service was paid. For example, the receipt should have the last four digits of your credit card, have the words "paid in cash," or say that the balance is 0. The only exceptions are taxis/cabs, which usually don’t provide you with detailed receipts. If you don’t have receipts that show that the item or service was paid, you should submit a copy of your credit card statement along with the order summary. Please note that credit card statements alone are insufficient as proof of purchase.
  • Itemized receipts are necessary for expenses that exceed $70, including meals.
  • If you want to get reimbursed for a meal with multiple guests you must provide the itemized list along with a list of attendees and the business purpose of the meal.
  • If you are traveling by airplane or train, you must provide boarding passes along with the airline or train receipt.
  • If you are using your private automobile for transportation print the directions from Map Quest (please provide exact starting and ending locations). Map Quest provides you with an accurate record of miles traveled. Once the form is submitted, the mileage will be calculated for you at the current federal standard mileage rate.
  • If you paid by check you must submit a copy of the cancelled check.


Equipment support

As indicated above, for support with any kind of video equipment related to your class, contact Classroom Support at 2-4219. If you want to borrow equipment from them they need 48 hours notice. Many classrooms have a cabinet which contains equipment and you can sign out a key from Media Technology to use it.

Departmental equipment

The department owns and will loan out an LCD projector, laptops, a limited number of transcriber pedals, and tape recorders.



There are a number of University grants that are available to full-time faculty members. Be sure to check web sites to find out about various restrictions and application procedures.

Research Expense Grants (REG)

These are offered twice a year and max out at $2,000. View REG deadlines and additional information.

Research Incentive Grants (RIG)

These are offered once a year and max out at $15,000. View RIG Guidelines and Deadlines.

Ignite Program

These are offered three times per year and max out at $30,000. View Ignite Guidelines and Deadlines.

Research Across Departments and Schools (RADS)

The Vice Provost of Research will support five of these interdisciplinary projects annually for up to $50,000. View RADS Guidelines and Deadlines.

Undergraduate Research Fellowship Grants

Offered by the College of Arts and Sciences three times a year, these grants permit faculty to hire undergraduate assistants to help on research projects. View deadlines and additional information.

Teaching, Advising, and Mentoring Grants (TAM)

Administered by University Council on Teaching (UCT), these very competitive grants are offered once a year and max out at $15,000. View TAM in the Faculty Handbook for deadlines and other information.

Teaching, Advising and Mentoring Expense Grants (TAME)

These are offered twice a year by UCT and max out at $2,000. View TAME in the Faculty Handbook for deadlines and additional information.

Eighty Percent and Regular Sabbaticals Application

Faculty can apply for the very competitive eighty percent sabbatical to work on research projects. The sabbaticals are awarded by the office of the Academic Vice President (AVP) annually. View Sabbatical Leave in the Faculty Handbook.


Sabbatical Fellowships

Other Fellowships

Other funding opportunities

Important Links

Faculty Handbook

A guide to faculty in understanding and using University resources, including policies and procedures, faculty support services and programs, University-wide committees, benefits, and facilities and services. View Faculty Handbook.

AVP Faculty Resources and Services

Information on faculty awards, academic technology services, research expense grants, research incentive grants, organizational charts, etc.

A&S Faculty Services and Resources, a series of helpful links, for instance to the academic calendar, Academic Technology Services, a list of A&S Chairpersons, A&S faculty elections, libraries, and others.

Forms for Faculty

Academic Calendar

Institutional Review Board (IRB) Information

Office of Sponsored Programs Forms

ASA Web Site —


Note: To view Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files you will need the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.