Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences

Student Employment Instructions and Forms

department of psychology

Deadline for Reporting Hours

You must report your hours in Kronos each week before noon on Friday. Enter your start and stop times for each day, making sure to save when done.

If you forget to enter your hours, email the Psychology office (, and we will input the hours. Never enter multiple weeks’ worth of hours on the same week (e.g., to make up missed hours); always contact the Psychology office in these cases.

Paid Hours

You can only be paid for hours you work.

Student employees are paid for actual hours worked. They are not paid for lunch breaks, holidays, or as a result of any emergency closing or early dismissal.

You are paid on Fridays for the previous week's hours.

Do not enter hours for your Psychology job that overlap with your hours working another job.

Work Study

This is true for students with work study too. The work study award amount is the maximum you can earn in a year; being awarded work study does not mean you automatically receive that amount. You must report the hours you work up until you have earned the amount of your work study award.

Undergraduate Research Fellowship

If you are awarded a Undergraduate Research Fellowship (URF), it is important for you keep track of the number of hours worked (do not report more hours than you were awarded) and the end date of employment (plan to stop working by this date).


Academic Year Employment

During the academic year employment period, a student may work no more than 20 hours per week in total between all his or her jobs at Boston College.

End of Job

Student jobs end the last week of classes. Students are not allowed to work during final exams.

Summer Employment

During the summer employment period, a student may work no more than 40 hours per week in total between all his or her jobs at Boston College.

Independent Study and Thesis Courses

If you are enrolled in an independent study or thesis course, you cannot be paid for the same work. Thus, you would not be hired for the same semester that you are enrolled in the course.

Put another way, if you are an employee in a lab and also enrolled in an independent study or thesis course in that lab, the work you are doing for pay must be entirely separate and unrelated to the work you are doing for credit.

If the two kinds of work are indeed separate, your advisor needs to email us to explain the differences between the work.

Using Kronos (Employee Time Reporting)

Student employees must report their own hours each week in the Kronos system, which is accessed through the Agora option Employee Time Reporting. Instructions for using Kronos are available on the Human Resources site.

New Student Employee Forms

A new employee must complete the Employment Eligibility and Verification “I-9” Process. The student must complete Section 1 of the I-9 form and bring that form, along with original documentation, to Student Services in Lyons Hall.

The student must also complete W-4 and M-4 income tax withholding forms and send them to HRSC in 129 Lake St. These forms are available on the HRSC website and from the following links.

Submit to Student Services (Lyons Hall): I-9 with documentation

Submit to HRSC (129 Lake St.): M-4 | W-4

Direct Deposit: Boston College pays student employees via direct deposit with any bank or credit union. New employees may sign up for direct deposit through Agora; go to the My Services page, find the Human Resources box, and click PeopleSoft Human Resource Services.

Non-BC Students: Submit the I-9 form at HRSC (129 Lake St.) instead.