department of political science
The Political Science department seeks the following objectives for its students:
- to understand the major forms of government in the world;
- to understand the political and economic relations among nations, including the causes and consequences of war;
- to know the most important works of political inquiry, and their connection to the political arrangements by which men and women have governed themselves, in the past and in the present;
- to know the varying methods by which modern social science seeks to understand the political world;
- to think analytically, write cogently, and speak clearly about political matters;
- to understand American government in a way that will allow students to become thoughtful and effective citizens.