Dr. Andrzej Herczynski
research associate professor and laboratory director, reu summer program director
Higgins Hall 230D
- Ph.D., Physics, Lehigh University, 1987
- M.S., Physics, Lehigh University, 1983
- M.S., Mathematics, Warsaw University (Poland), 1980
Areas of Research
Mathematical modeling in fluid dynamics – perturbation methods for compressible flows, thermal processes under reduced gravity, similarity solutions in hydrodynamics.
Physics and art – scaling properties and fluid-dynamical effects in Jackson Pollock’s poured abstractions.
Boston College Faculty Fellowship, Spring 2011
Teaching with New Media Award, Boston College, May 2007
University Fellowship, Lehigh University, 1985-1986
Books & Essays
- A. Herczynski, "Between the Two Cultures," to appear in the Proceedings of the Conference on "College and the Academic Community in the European and the American Tradition," Warsaw University, May 26-29, 2009.
- C. Cernuschi, and A. Herczynski, "Cutting Pollock Down to Size: the Boundaries of the Poured Technique", in Pollock Matters, Ellen G. Landau and Claude Cernuschi, eds. McMullen Museum, August 2007.
- C. Cernuschi, A. Herczynski, and D. Martin, "Abstract Expressionism and Fractal Geometry," in Pollock Matters, Ellen G. Landau, and Claude Cernuschi, eds. McMullen Museum, August 2007.
- A. Herczynski, "Introductory Physics Laboratory Manual," second edition revised, Wiley 2007; second edition, Wiley 2004; first edition, Wiley 2002.
- A. Herczynski, in Macmillan Encyclopedia of Physics (J.S. Rigden, ed.). Macmillan Reference 1996: "Density" (Vol. I, 342-343); "Doppler Effect" (Vol. II, 378-382); "Rotating Reference Frame" (Vol. II, 616-619).
- K. Kempa, M.J. Naughton, Z.F. Ren, J. Rybczynski, Y. Gao, A. Herczynski, and M. Clary, "Hot Electron Contribution to the Photovoltaic Effect in a-Si p-i-n Junctions," Appl. Phys. Lett.95, 233121 (2009).
- C. Cernuschi, and A. Herczynski, "The Subversion of Gravity in Jackson Pollock Abstractions," The Art Bulletin XC ( 4), 616 (2008).
- K. Kempa, J. Rybczynski, Z. Huang, K. Gregorczyk, A. Vidan, B. Kimball, J. Carlson, G. Benham, Y. Wang, A. Herczynski, and Z. Ren, "Carbon Nanotubes as Optical Antennae," Adv. Mater. 19, 421 (2007).
- J. Rybczynski, K. Kempa, A. Herczynski, Y. Wang, M. J. Naughton, Z. F. Ren, Z. P. Huang, D. Cai, and M. Giersig, "Subwavelength Waveguide for Visible Light," Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 021104 (2007).
- Y. Wang, K. Kempa, B. Kimball, J. B. Carlson, G. Benham, W. Z. Li, T. Kempa, J. Rybczynski, A. Herczynski, and Z. F. Ren, "Receiving and Transmitting Light Like Radio Waves: Antenna Effect in Arrays of Aligned Carbon Nanotubes," Appl. Phys. Lett. 85 (13), 2607 (2004).
- P. D. Weidman, and A. Herczynski, "Response to “Comment on ‘Force on a Spinning Sphere Moving in a Rarefied Gas,’ and ‘On the Inverse Magnus Effect in Free Molecular Flow,’” Phys. Fluids 16, 3822 (2004).
- A. Herczynski, P.D. Weidman, and G.I. Burde, "Two-Fluid Jets and Wakes," Phys. Fluids 16, 1037 (2004).
- P. D. Weidman, and A. Herczynski, "On the Inverse Magnus Effect in Free Molecular Flow," Phys. Fluids 16, L9 (2004).
- A. Herczynski, R. Herczynski, and A. Kozlowski, "Determination of the Differential Cross-Section for a Realistic Intermolecular Potential," Phys. Rev. E. 51 (1), 266 (1995).
- A. Herczynski, and D. R. Kassoy, "Response of a Confined Gas to Volumetric Heating in the Absence of Gravity: I. Slow Transients," Phys. Fluids A 3 (4), 566 (1991).
- A. Herczynski, and R. T. Folk, "Orthogonality Condition for the Pochhammer-Chree Modes," Quart. J. Mech. Appl. Math 42 (4), 523 (1989).