Dr. Andrzej Herczynski
research associate professor and laboratory director
Higgins Hall 230D
Ph.D., Physics, Lehigh University
M.S., Physics, Lehigh University
M.S., Mathematics, Warsaw University (Poland)
Areas of Research
Mathematical modeling in fluid dynamics – perturbation methods for compressible flows, thermal processes under reduced gravity, similarity solutions in hydrodynamics.
Physics and art – scaling properties and fluid-dynamical effects in Jackson Pollock’s poured abstractions.
Visiting Fellowship, Newton Institute, University of Cambridge, July–Aug. & Nov. 2012
Boston College Faculty Fellowship, Spring 2011
Teaching with New Media Award, Boston College, May 2007
University Fellowship, Lehigh University, 1985-1986
Books and Essays
- A. Herczynski, Between the Two Cultures, in Collegium College Kolegium, College and the Academic Community in the European and the American Tradition, M. O Connor and P. Wilczek editors, Warsaw University, 2011.
- C. Cernuschi, and A. Herczynski, "Cutting Pollock Down to Size: the Boundaries of the Poured Technique", in Pollock Matters, Ellen G. Landau and Claude Cernuschi, eds. McMullen Museum, August 2007.
- C. Cernuschi, A. Herczynski, and D. Martin, "Abstract Expressionism and Fractal Geometry," in Pollock Matters, Ellen G. Landau, and Claude Cernuschi, eds. McMullen Museum, August 2007.
- A. Herczynski, "Introductory Physics Laboratory Manual," second edition revised, Wiley 2007; second edition, Wiley 2004; first edition, Wiley 2002.
- A. Herczynski, in Macmillan Encyclopedia of Physics (J.S. Rigden, ed.). Macmillan Reference 1996: "Density" (Vol. I, 342-343); "Doppler Effect" (Vol. II, 378-382); "Rotating Reference Frame" (Vol. II, 616-619).
- A. Herczynski, C. Cernuschi, and L. Mahadevan, Painting with drops, Jets, and Films, Parity, March 2013, 26-34. [in Japanese, translation from Physics Today]
- A. Herczynski, Bound charges and currents, Am. J. Phys. 81, 202 (2013).
- A. Herczynski and P. D. Weidman, Experiments on the Periodic Oscillations of Free Containers Driven by Liquid Sloshing, J. Fluid. Mech. 693, 216 (2012).
- A. Herczynski, C. Cernuschi, and L. Mahadevan, Painting with drops, Jets, and Films, Physics Today, June 2011, 31-36.
- K. Kempa, M. J. Naughton, Z. F. Ren, A. Herczynski, T. Kirkpatrick, J. Rybczynski, and Y. Gao, Hot electron effect in nanoscopically thin photovoltaic junctions, Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 233121 (2009).
- C. Cernuschi, and A. Herczynski, "The Subversion of Gravity in Jackson Pollock Abstractions," The Art Bulletin XC (4), 616 (2008).
- K. Kempa, J. Rybczynski, Z. Huang, K. Gregorczyk, A. Vidan, B. Kimball, J. Carlson, G. Benham, Y. Wang, A. Herczynski, and Z. Ren, Carbon Nanotubes as Optical Antennae, Adv. Mater. 19, 421 (2007).
- J. Rybczynski, K. Kempa, A. Herczynski, Y. Wang, M. J. Naughton, Z. F. Ren, Z. P. Huang, D. Cai, and M. Giersig, Subwavelength Waveguide for Visible Light, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 021104 (2007).
- Y. Wang, K. Kempa, B. Kimball, J. B. Carlson, G. Benham, W. Z. Li, T. Kempa, J. Rybczynski, A. Herczynski, and Z. F. Ren, Receiving and Transmitting Light Like Radio Waves: Antenna Effect in Arrays of Aligned Carbon Nanotubes, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85 (13), 2607 (2004).
- P. D. Weidman, and A. Herczynski, Response to “Comment on ‘Force on a Spinning Sphere Moving in a Rarefied Gas,’ and ‘On the Inverse Magnus Effect in Free Molecular Flow, Phys. Fluids 16, 3822 (2004).
- A. Herczynski, P.D. Weidman, and G.I. Burde, Two-Fluid Jets and Wakes, Phys. Fluids 16, 1037 (2004).
- P. D. Weidman, and A. Herczynski, On the Inverse Magnus Effect in Free Molecular Flow, Phys. Fluids 16, L9 (2004).
- A. Herczynski, R. Herczynski, and A. Kozlowski, "Determination of the Differential Cross-Section for a Realistic Intermolecular Potential," Phys. Rev. E. 51 (1), 266 (1995).
- A. Herczynski, and D. R. Kassoy, "Response of a Confined Gas to Volumetric Heating in the Absence of Gravity: I. Slow Transients," Phys. Fluids A 3 (4), 566 (1991).
- A. Herczynski, and R. T. Folk, "Orthogonality Condition for the Pochhammer-Chree Modes," Quart. J. Mech. Appl. Math 42 (4), 523 (1989).
Please note: These files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.