Ph.D., Toronto; M.A., Toronto
Chestnut Hill, Mass. 02467
Fields of Interest
- Hellenistic philosophy
- History of ethics, history of metaphysics (especially ancient and medieval)
- Ancient Greek Philosophy (PL 405)
- Augustine (PL 605)
Some Recent Publications
- "Augustine's Debt to Stoic 'Affiliation' Theory in the Confessions" in The Routledge Handbook of the Stoic Tradition (Routledge, 2016).
- "Sarah Byers on Augustine's Ethics," The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps (Episode 114). A twenty-five minute interview.
- Perception, Sensibility, and Moral Motivation in Augustine (Cambridge University Press, 2012)
- "The Psychology of Compassion: A Reading of City of God 9.5" in The Cambridge Critical Guide to the City of God (Cambridge University Press, 2012)
- "Augustine and the Philosopher" in A Companion to Augustine (Blackwell, 2012)
- “Life as ‘Self-Motion’: Descartes and the Aristotelians on the Soul as the Life of the Body," Review of Metaphysics 59.4 (June 2006), 723-755.
- “The Meaning of Voluntas in Augustine,” Augustinian Studies 37.2 (2006), 171-189.
- “Augustine and the Cognitive Cause of Stoic ‘Preliminary Passions’ (Propatheiai),” Journal of the History of Philosophy 41.4 (October 2003), 433-448.
Please note: To view Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files you will need the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.