French Computer Software
language laboratory catalog
A la rencontre de Philippe
Interactive videodisc/Macintosh software program by the Athena Language Learning Project at M.I.T. designed to develop comprehension of spoken French; for full description, see listing in Videodiscs section of this catalogue.
Contacts 6th Edition
Computerized study modules for the Macintosh; ancillary material for the text Contacts, 6th edition by Valette and Valette; modules divided into two groupings: 1) Flash — vocabulary practice exercises
2) Foundations — exercises for review of grammatical structures and contextualized reading.
Salamandre: Châteaux de la Loire
Full feature format (CAV) color videodisc © 1988 Voyager Company and corresponding Hypercard laserstack; information about 18 châteaux in the Loire Valley of France; for full description, see listing in Videodiscs section of this catalogue.
writing assistant for French by Heinle & Heinle © 1999 designed for use by elementary-/intermediate-level language learners; this word-processor and French spell-checker includes an online bi-lingual (French–English/English–French) dictionary with pronunciation feature, a phrase book of idiomatic expressions, vocabulary lists, a reference grammar with verb conjugator, writing examples.
A Macintosh program with sound designed to drill 10 verb tenses; includes 200 sentences recorded by a native speaker; features extensive notes for each sentence, reference material on verb usage, and “hide sentence” possibility to provide listening comprehension practice.
Transparent Language: French
A Macintosh software program designed to help students read and understand authentic French literature; works “notated” in “transparent language” = Daudet’s La dernière classe, La partie de billard, L’enfant espion and Maupassant’s La parure and Un million; includes audiocassette recording of each short story; “transparent language” version of original text features hideable Help windows that provide text-related information when user highlights a segment of text; windows available:
(1) Word Meaning provides literal meaning of each word of original text
(2) Phrase Meaning gives the meaning of a phrase as a whole (i.e. idiomatic sense)
(3) Sentence or Clause Meaning offers the meaning of a highlighted segment of the original text
(4) Comments holds grammatical information, such as infinitives of verbs and other types of “root words”
(5) Notes is used for longer explanations of grammar; program also includes Bookmark, Word Search, Root Search features; also available Transparent Language sampler version of Jules Renard’s Poil de Carotte with audiocassette recording on Language Sampler cassette.