islamic civilization and societies
Students seeking to earn an Islamic Civilization and Societies minor must submit a proposed plan of study to the Associate Director, listing the courses that will be taken to fulfill the requirements. In general, proposed plans of study for the minor should be submitted no later than the second semester of the sophomore year. The Associate Director will review the proposed plan of study in consultation with the student and Program Director and if accepted, the Committee will grant approval for the student.
Fill out and e-mail the proposed plan of study form before scheduling an appointment with the Associate Director. Whenever possible the Associate Director will arrange for each student to receive continuing academic advisement from a faculty member in the student's academic major who is affiliated with the Islamic Civilization and Societies Program. Students will be expected to consult with the Associate Director at each semester registration period to update their plan of study.
Requirements for the Islamic Civilization and Societies Minor
- 18 to 22 credit hours from the approved course list
- Selected courses must be from three different academic departments
- Required multidisciplinary foundation course ICSP 1199 (fall semester)
- Two courses in Arabic or an equivalent language at the intermediate level or above
Requirements for the Arabic Studies Minor
The Department of Slavic & Eastern Languages and Literatures has approved a minor in Arabic Studies which covers areas of Modern Standard Arabic and Modern Hebrew, Modern Middle Eastern Literature and Cultural History, and Near Eastern Civilizations.
- Six approved one-semester courses
- Two in Modern Standard Arabic, above the intermediate level
- Four in Middle Eastern languages, cultures, literatures and civilizations. May include a language course in Modern (Israeli) Hebrew, courses taught in translation, and Near Eastern Civilizations
For additional information see Slavic & Eastern Languages and Literatures.