arts and sciences honors program
A memo from the faculty of the A&S Honors Program
April 28, 2014
To our students in the A&S Honors Program:
A recent communication to some Honors Students indicated a change in the requirements for the junior and senior years. There has been no change in the Honors Program graduation requirements. They remain as stated below:
- Year-long, double-credit seminar "Western Cultural Tradition I-IV" (ancients and medievals)
- First semester register for the same section of HONR 1101 and HONR 1102
- Second semester continue in the same section of HONR 1103 and HONR 1104
- Year-long, double-credit seminar "Western Cultural Tradition V-VIII" (1500-1900)
- First semester register for the same section of HONR 1201 and HONR 1202
- Second semester continue in the same section of HONR 1203 and HONR 1204
- Two one-semester, single seminars, "Twentieth Century and the Tradition I and II"
- First semester register for any section of TCT I (modernism)
- Second semester register for any section of TCT II (post-modernism)
- If you spend one semester abroad, take TCT I or II in the semester you're at BC
In most cases seniors will do a two-semester senior thesis, generally in the major. Senior Thesis/Project Proposal Form is submitted by the last day of classes in the Junior Year.
Alternatively, seniors may satisfy the requirements of the Honors Program by taking two HP classes. Exactly what those classes are will depend partly on whether you spent all or part of your junior year abroad. The general principle is that in the last two years you owe the HP three credits of work for every semester you are on campus.
The following are the options:
- No JYA: Two-semester Senior Thesis or two HP Senior Seminars
- One Semester JYA
- Track 1: Two semester senior thesis
- Track 2: Both the other semester of the 20thc course and a Senior Seminar
- Full year JYA:
- Either a two-semester senior thesis
- or both 20thc courses
Students meeting these requirements and maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.4 will graduate as members of the A&S Honors Program.
These requirements are also published in the Honors Program Handbook.
Please note: To view Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files you will need the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.