Applications to the Ph.D. Program
Thank you for considering the Boston College History Department in your decision to pursue graduate studies!
Do not mail any materials to the History Department.
In order to help with the admissions process, please take a look at Frequently Asked Questions about the History Graduate Programs.
In considering your application, the Graduate Admissions Committee looks for excellence across the board. We consider the following parts of your application:
- a Statement of Purpose (one or two pages) emphasizing your intellectual interests and your reasons for choosing Boston College
- official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- GRE general scores taken within the last five years
- at least three letters of recommendation
- a writing sample (10 to 15 pages only) of a paper written for a recent course, or one written expressly for the application
- application forms, which can be found on the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences website
Admissions deadlines are January 2, 2015 for our Ph.D. program and February 1, 2015 for the MA program.
To reach any of the History Department faculty members, please consult the faculty page on this site.
We wish you the best as you begin the admissions process, and we appreciate your consideration of Boston College.