Robert J. Savage, Jr.
adjunct associate professor
PhD, Boston College, 1992
Fields of Interest
Irish political and cultural history; film and media in Ireland and Britain; Northern Ireland; Anglo-Irish relations in the 20th century.
Robert Savage is faculty member of the Boston College History Department and teaches in the University’s Irish Studies Program. His research on contemporary Irish history has been funded through fellowships and grants by the Boston College School of Arts and Sciences, the Long Room Hub at Trinity College Dublin; The Moore Institute at the National University of Ireland, Galway; the Leverhulme Trust of Great Britain, the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities at the University of Edinburgh, the Department of Education and Science (Ireland), the Irish-American Cultural Institute, and the Centre for Irish Studies at the National University of Ireland Galway.
His most recent book: A Loss of Innocence? Television and Irish Society 1960-1972 was awarded the 2010 James S. Donnelly, Sr. Prize for Best Book in History and Social Sciences by the American Conference for Irish Studies.
Savage teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in European, Irish and British history including: Europe and the Atlantic world; Ireland since the famine; A political and social history of nineteenth century Ireland; A history of Northern Ireland; Media and modern Ireland; Ireland through film and fiction and A dis-United Kingdom? culture and identity in Ireland, Scotland and Wales 1707-2000.
- A Loss of Innocence? Television and Irish Society 1960-1972 (2010)
- "'A Stranger Among Us': Edward Roth and the Establishment of Irish Television," in History Ireland (2010)
- "Sean Lemass and the Advent of Irish Television," in The Age of Sean Lemass: Ireland 1945-1973 (2005)
- Ireland in the New Century: Politics, Culture and Identity, editor and contributing author (2003)
- "'The Soil of Ireland for the People of Ireland': The Politics of Land in Irish Visual Imagery 1850-1936," in Eire/Land (Boston College, 2003)
- Sean Lemass: A Biography (1999)
- "Constructing/Deconstructing the Image of Sean Lemass's Ireland: The Tear and the Smile," in Nationalism: Visions and Revisions (1999)
- "Strongholds and Relics, Images of 'The Troubles,'" in Re/Dressing Cathleen: Contemporary Works from Irish Women Artists (1997)
- Irish Television: a Political and Social History (1996)