Charles Gallagher, S.J.
PhD, Marquette University, 1998
Fields of Interest
American Catholic history; Vatican diplomacy; U.S. diplomatic history; 19th- & 20th-century American social history; American religious history; history of the Holocaust
Charles R. Gallagher, S.J., came to Boston College from the Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations in 2010, where he was a visiting fellow, teaching undergraduate and doctoral courses on religion and international relations. From 2004 to 2006, he taught in the History Department at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. In 2008, he published Vatican Secret Diplomacy: Joseph P. Hurley and Pope Pius XII (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008), which won the John Gilmary Shea Prize from the American Catholic historical Association. His interests include American Catholicism, papal diplomacy, international relations, the Holocaust, and intelligence history. Professor Gallagher is currently writing a book examining the role of US counterintelligence and the American Catholic Church prior to and during World War II. In 2012, he edited, along with Alberto Melloni (Bologna) and David Kertzer (Brown), a volume of essays entitled Pius XI in America: Proceedings from the Conference at Brown University (Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2012).
- “Anti-Semitism and Catholic Aesthetics: Jacques Maritain’s Role in the Religious Conversion of Emmanuel H. Chapman,” in U.S. Catholic Historian Vol. 32, No. 2, 2014.
- "The Roman Catholic Church and Modern Terrorism: Ideology, Human Rights, and the Hermeneutic of Discontinuity," in Socialist History Vol. 43, No. 3, 2013.
- "Correct and Christian: American Jesuit Support of Father Charles E. Coughlin’s Anti-Semitism, 1935–38," peer-reviewed book chapter in The Tragic Couple: Encounters Between Jews and Jesuits Edited by James Bernauer and Robert A. Maryks (Leiden & Boston: Brill, 2013).
- Co-Editor, Pius XI and America: Proceedings of the Brown University Conference (Christianity & History Series), (Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2012).
- Vatican Secret Diplomacy: Joseph P. Hurley & Pope Pius XII (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008)
- "The Perils of Perception: British Catholics & Papal Neutrality, 1914-1923," in: ThePapacy Since 1500: From Italian Prince to Universal Pastor, ed. Thomas W. Worcester & James Corkery. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010)
- "'The Soil of All Anti-Semitism': Anti-Judaism, Anti-Semitism, and Contextual Equivalency in the Catholic Lexicon," in Mark E. Ruff, ed. Catholics, Protestants, and Nazis: A Reader(Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, forthcoming).
- Cross & Crozier: A History of Catholicism in the Diocese of St. Augustine (Strasbourg: Editions du Signé, 2000)