Heinz Bluhm Memorial Library
german studies department
An important academic asset of the Department of German Studies is the Heinz Bluhm Memorial Library, containing approximately 4,000 volumes from the collection of the late Heinz Bluhm (1907-1993). Professor Bluhm was the founder (in 1968) and long-time chair (1968-1976) of the Department of Germanic Studies.
The Library consists chiefly of the Germanic volumes from Professor Bluhm's own extensive personal research library which he amassed over the period of more than six decades. Upon his death in November of 1993 Professor Bluhm bequeathed his collection to Boston College. The particular strengths of the Library are (1) Martin Luther, (2) the Age of Goethe and (3) Nietzsche, although the full spectrum of German life and letters—from the Middle Ages well into the Twentieth Century—is richly represented as well.
The Library opened in the summer of 1996. It is located in Lyons Hall 201E on the Boston College middle campus. The Library is open during the academic year on weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. It is available for use by the entire Boston College community.