Teaching Assistantship in Germany
A one-year teaching position is available for the upcoming academic year at the Odenwaldschule, one of Germany's premier boarding schools, for a graduating senior at Boston College.
Brief Program Description
The Boston College–Odenwaldschule English Assistant Program offers a German-speaking Boston College graduate the opportunity to live, work and learn in Germany for one year. The English assistant at the Odenwald School will live with pupils at the boarding school, assist in English instruction and in subjects that are taught in English, and contribute to extracurricular activities and the general life at the school.
The assistant will also have the opportunity to study at a German university and travel in Germany and Europe. Room and board, a small stipend and a small travel allowance will be provided. The school will share the basic health insurance costs; the assistant's share being around 40 Euros per month.
- The Odenwaldschule, which serves 260 youths in grades 5-13 from all over Germany and other countries, is located north of Heidelberg in the small town of Ober-Hambach near Heppenheim.
- The Boston College–Odenwaldschule English Assistantship is an 11-month program, running from around mid-August to the middle of July.
- Two vacation months in one- to three-week segments are interspersed throughout the school year with an additional six weeks during summer. This provides the participant with unique opportunities for travel in Europe.
- During periods of instruction the assistant will be scheduled to help various English teachers in the classroom for 12 class hours a week and will be expected to supervise at least one extracurricular activity throughout the year.
- Applicants must have a good—though not necessarily fluent—command of German.
For further information or to apply for this position please contact: