Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
2016 Master's Completions
- Yahya Abushaheen - "Quantitative Analysis of High Resolution Chirp Sub-Bottom Profiler Data in the Arabian Gulf Shallow Marine Sediments"
- Fernando Alvarado Blohm - "Determination of Hydraulic Conductivities Through Grain-Size Analysis"
- Shaina Cohen - "An Assessment of Heterogeneity within the Lithospheric Mantle, Marie Byrd Land, West Antarctica"
- Caleb Lucy - "Rapid Acquisition of Low Cost High-Resolution Elevation Datasets Using a Small Unmanned Aircraft System: An Application for Measuring River Geomorphic Change"
- Vanessa Napoli - "Relative Locations of Earthquakes Along the Northeast U.S. Atlantic Passive Margin and Source Parameter Comparison to the 1929 Grand Banks Earthquake"
- Barbara Wortham - "Last Millennium Decoupling of the South American Summer Monsoon and Local Hydroclimate of Central Brazil"
We're on Instagram! @BC_EarthandEnviro
We are very excited to announce the launch of the official Instagram account for the Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences. Our Instagram handle will be @BC_EarthandEnviro; look us up and follow! We want you to contribute by submitting photos (and captions) and you can choose how you'd like to be credited (full name, initials, Instagram handle, anonymously, etc.). Please send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Examples of photos you may want to submit include (but are not limited to): Research, Field trips, Conferences, Classes, Promotions for upcoming events, Profiles of students and/or faculty.
The Great Thaw
As the COP21 climate change conference takes place in Paris, Earth and Environmental Sciences Assistant Professor Jeremy Shakun discussed how man-made pollution has increased the speed at which the world's glaciers are melting. Washington Post
John Waldman, Karen A. Wilson, Martha Mather & Noah P. Snyder, 2016. A Resilience Approach Can Improve Anadromous Fish Restoration, Fisheries, 41:3, 116-126.
Ebel, J.E., An Enigmatic Little Earthquake Swarm near Searsport, Maine, Seism. Res. Lett., 87, in press, 2016.
Traykovski, P., J. Trowbridge, G. Kineke, 2015. Mechanisms of surface wave energy dissipation over a high-concentration sediment suspension, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 120:1638-1681, DOI: 10.1002/2014JC010245.
Wong, C.I., Banner, J.L., Musgrove, M., 2015. Holocene Climate Variability in Texas, USA: An Integration of Existing Paleoclimate Data and Modeling with a New, High-Resolution Speleothem Record. Quaternary Science Reviews, Vol. XX, pg. 1-19.
Dragovic, B., Baxter E.F., Caddick,M.J. 2015. Pulsed garnet growth and dehydration at blueschist facies conditions, Sifnos, Greece. Earth & Planetary Science Letters, 413, p.111-122.
Shakun, J. D., Clark, P. U., He, F., Lifton, N. A., Liu, Z., and Otto-Bliesner, B. L. 2015. Regional and global forcing of glacier retreat during the last deglaciation. Nature Communications, 6, doi:10.1038/ncomms9059.
Please note: To view Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files you will need the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.