Minor in Studio Art
boston college fine arts department
The minor in Studio Art offers students the opportunity to pursue a course of study in ceramics, painting, drawing, or photography. There are features of the minor program that resemble, in an abbreviated way, aspects of our majors studio program which we have found to be successful. The required Advanced Studio Seminar class, for example, will function analogously to our Senior Project. This curriculum of six courses is designed to encourage an in-depth investigation of one medium, rather than a generalized sampling of many. The course structure aims at having the individual student develop the artistic techniques and conceptual visual sensibility necessary for working as an artist today. It should be noted students will not be permitted to begin the Studio Minor after their junior year. Students who are interested in declaring a minor can contact the minor advisor.
The Studio Minor consists of six courses, for a total of 18 credits.
Two courses are required:
- ARTS1103 – Issues and Approaches to Studio Art (three credits; usually taken following completion of one of the Introductory courses listed below, and declaration of the Minor), and
- ARTS3328 – Senior Minor Project (three credits; usually taken in the spring semester of senior year)
The remaining four courses (12 credits total) will include:
- One course selected from the Introductory courses listed below
- Three courses (three credits each) from Studio Art course offerings in one of the following areas: ceramics, drawing, mixed media, painting or photography.
Introductory Courses (three credits each)
- ARTS1101 – Drawing I
- ARTS1102 – Painting I or ARTS1150 – Painting Plus: Collage
- ARTS1104 – Seeing is Believing
- ARTS1141 – Ceramics I (three credits)
- ARTS1161 – Photography I (three credits)
The following courses are strongly recommended to give minors a strong historical grounding:
- ARTS2211 – Hot Off the Shelf
- ARTH2258 – Twentieth Century Art
- ARTH2285 – History of Photography
- ARTH3356 – Art Since 1945
Additional Stipulations for the Studio Art Minor
- No more than one independent study in your field of concentration.
- Courses to be counted for the minor must be taken for a grade, not pass/fail.
- It is strongly suggested that if students wish to strengthen their minor by taking electives, they should add additional classes from the offerings in their chosen area of specialty.
Professor Michael Mulhern, Minor Advisor
Fine Arts Department, Devlin Hall 428