Studio Art Foreign Study
boston college fine arts department
The department believes strongly that study abroad is worthwhile, exposing students to not only other cultures but to other forms and traditions of artistic expression. At the same time, it cautions Studio Art majors to consider their growth and development in the major and to integrate study abroad with their chosen area of concentration in consultation with their department advisor.
Students should have the following courses completed prior to studying abroad:
- Two courses (six credits) of the following:
- ARTS1101 – Drawing I (three credits)
- ARTS1102 – Painting I (three credits)
- ARTS1141 – Ceramics I (three credits)
- ARTS1150 – Painting Plus Collage (three credits)
- ARTS1161 – Photography I (three credits)
- Selection of four courses in your area of concentration
- Up to two of the six electives that are required for the Arts and Sciences Studio major may be taken abroad.
There are no restrictions on courses taken abroad, but it is recommended that they are used to fulfill major electives or to develop the student's area of concentration. Study abroad should be limited to one semester. It is strongly advised that students speak to their faculty advisor about possible ideas for their Senior Project before going abroad.
Professor Alston Conley is the department Study Abroad Advisor and contact for course approvals. The department recommends programs in Italy and England and photography programs in Prague and Paris.