Studio Art Foreign Study
boston college fine arts department
The department believes strongly that study abroad is worthwhile, exposing students to not only other cultures but to other forms and traditions of artistic expression. At the same time, it cautions Studio Art majors to consider their growth and development in the major and to integrate study abroad with their chosen area of concentration in consultation with their department advisor.
Students should have the following courses completed prior to studying abroad:
- Two courses (six credits) of the following:
- ARTS1101 – Drawing I (three credits)
- ARTS1102 – Painting I (three credits)
- ARTS1141 – Ceramics I (three credits)
- ARTS1150 – Painting Plus Collage (three credits)
- ARTS1161 – Photography I (three credits)
- Selection of four courses in your area of concentration
- Up to two of the six electives that are required for the Arts and Sciences Studio major may be taken abroad.
Courses taken abroad must be approved before departure. It is recommended they are used to fulfill major requirements or to develop the student's area of concentration. Study abroad should be limited to one semester. It is strongly advised that students speak to their faculty advisor about possible ideas for their Senior Project before going abroad.
As of September 2016, studio art courses taken abroad will no longer be accepted for the Arts Core, except in the case of a few preapproved studio art courses taught on BC Study Abroad Programs (please inquire with the Office of International Programs).
Professor Alston Conley is the Studio Art program's Study Abroad Advisor and contact for course approvals.