fine arts department
Artist-in-Residence, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 2002-2003
M.F.A., New York University, 1998
B.A., Boston College, 1980
Devlin Hall 418
Mary Sherman is an artist, curator and the director of TransCultural Exchange, which she founded in Chicago in 1989.* She also teaches at Boston College and Northeastern University and, recently, served as the interim Associate Director of Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT's) Program in Art, Culture and Technology. Additionally, for two decades, she worked as an art critic for such publications as The Chicago Sun-Times, The Boston Globe and ARTnews. She has received numerous grants and awards, including two Fulbright Senior Specialist Grants (Taipei and Istanbul), and has been an artist-in-residence at such institutions as MIT (mechanical engineering) and the Taipei Artist Village. Among the shows she has curated, two received awards from the Northeast Chapter of the International Art Critics Association. Her own works, which push the definition of painting into the realm of space and sound, have been shown at numerous institutions, including Taipei's Kuandu Museum of Fine Arts, Beijing's Central Conservatory, the Boston Sculptors Gallery and New York's Trans Hudson Gallery.
*TransCultural Exchange is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to promoting international art and the understanding of world cultures. Incorporated in 2002, the organization has already received awards from such organizations as the International Art Critics Association, and support from such respected world organizations as National Endowment for the Arts, UNESCO, the State Department’s Art in Embassies Program, the Asian Cultural Council, the Open Society Initiative, the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the LEF Foundation, among others.
December 2013 - camac, Marnay sur Seine, France
2009 - 1st Art & Science Festival, University of Patras, Greece
2008 - Taipei National University of the Arts’ Kuandu Museum
Beijing Forestry University, "Mary Sherman Recent Work," 2013
Central Arts Academy, "Mary Sherman," Beijing, China, 2013
French Cultural Center, "Round Table with Catherine Millet," Boston, MA, 2013
The Trondheim Academy of Fine Art, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2013
Res Artis Annual Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, 2012
Rhode Island School of Design (Henry Horenstein’s Photography Class), 2012
Moderator, “International Artists-in-Residencies,” The Derryfield School’s Lyceum, Manchester, NH. October 15, 2011
Arts in the One World 2010 Conference, Panelist, Brown University, Providence, RI
The College Art Association, Speaker: “International Residencies,” Los Angeles, CA, 2009
MIT Grad Arts Forum Moderator, “Artists-in-Residence/Why?,” Cambridge, MA, 2009
International Association for Feminist Economics’ Creative Economy Panelist, Simmons College, Boston, MA, 2009
The Fulbright Annual Conference, Speaker, Beijing, China, 2008
Invited audience with the Taiwan Ministry of Culture, Taipei, 2012
Fulbright Senior Specialist Grant, Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2012
Host, Lee Mingwi’s "Living Room Project,” The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston, 2012
Fulbright 33rd Annual Conference, Arts Task Force Panel Co-Chair, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2010
Haslla Art World, Guest Artist, Gangneung, South Korea, 2010
Massachusetts House of Representative’s Certificate of Recognition, Boston, MA, 2009
Member of the College Board’s National Arts Task Force on Arts in Education, 2008
Cover Art work (and inspiration) for Jayne Anne Phillips's Lark and Termite (Penguin Books), 2009
Art critic for a number of newspapers, as well as a frequent contributor to a number of national and international publications
Her art works have also appeared as covers for Penguin Books, New American Paintings, Harvard University Press, and A Common Reader.
Selected Individual Exhibitions
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Waiting for Yves.
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Scoop.
- 2011 - Samson Gallery, Boston, MA, Chain Letter.
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA Strand.
- 2010 - University of MA, Amherst, Hampden Gallery, At Heart Spike Jones
- 2009 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Mechanical Universe: Nocturne
- 2008 - Zendai MoMA, Shanghai, China, Here Comes The Sun
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2012 - The Distillery Gallery, Boston, MA, Between the Sheets: a look into the artist's sketchbook
- 2012 - Beijing Central Conservatory of Music, “On Native Music,” Modern Traditional Music Festival, Beijing, China
- 2011 - G.O. Gallery, University of Amherst, Amherst, MA, Novel Idea
- 2011 - Rebecca Bryan Gallery, Coastal Carolina University, Conway, S. Carolina, The VESTIGES Project, organized by Jan Gilbert (traveled to Contemporary Arts Center as part of NOLA NOW, New Orleans, LA, 2012)
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Scoop
- 2011 - S.L.A.P. A.i.R., Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- 2011 - Samson Gallery, Boston, MA, Chain Letter
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Strand
- 2011 - Lorand Gallery, Boston, MA, At Work
- 2011 - Distillery Gallery, Boston, MA, 10x10
- 2010 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, On/Of/About Paper
- 2010 - London Biennale, Satellite Venue, Boston, MA, A Curated Salon
- 2009 - Axiom Gallery, Boston, MA, Collision 14: pov.
- 2009 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Transformers
- 2008 - Cushing-Martin Gallery at Stonehill College, Easton, MA, Move Me: Kineticism in Art
- 2008 - London Biennale, London
- 2008 - Kuandu Museum of Fine Arts, Taipei, Taiwan, Collaboration: Anticipating the Art of the Future
Florian Dombois' uboc No. 1 and StuVi2, Boston University, October 10-13, 2013
- Berkshire Fine Arts, “Happenings + Events – TransCultural Exchange’s 3rd Biennale Conference on International Opportunities in the Arts: The Interconnected World,” March 2011.
- Berkshire Fine Arts, “2011 International Opportunities in the Arts,” March 15, 2011, by Astrid Hiemer.
- Berkshire Fine Arts, “Wrap Up TransCultural Exchange Conference 2011,” Apr. 29, 2011, by A. Hiemer.
- Boston Globe, “Aiming to make connections,” April 7, 2011, by Jeffrey Gantz.
- News Cheonji Newspaper, “Real Interview,” August 2011, by Ji In Lee.
- World Journal, “Mr. Candle at MIT,” April 8, 2011, by Kitty Huang.
- World Journal, “TCE-Interconnected World,” April 13, 2011, by Kitty Huang.
- World Journal, “MingCheng Huang,” July 21, 2011, by Kitty Huang.
- Boston Globe, “Season for living and color,” July 28, 2010 (by Cate McQuaid)
- Boston Globe, “Various Evidence of Enigma,” July 22, 2009 (by Cate McQuaid)
- Artist (Istanbul, Turkey), “TransCultural Exchange,” April 2009 (by I. Veryeri Alaca)
Television and Radio
- BNN TV, “It’s All About Arts,” Interview with Canvas Fine Arts and TransCultural Exchange Conference Speakers, “TransCultural Exchange’s 2011 Conference,” April 2011.
- ORF (Austrian Public Radio: Diagonal- Radio for Zeigenossen), Kindheit auf der Midway Islands, interviewed by Nicole Dietrich, 2011
- Zendai MoMA video series, Intrude/Art and Life, “Here Comes the Sun,” 2008
Artist website: www.marysherman.org