fine arts department
Adjunct Associate Professor
In 1994 Mark Cooper was invited by the Capitol Children's Museum to work with adolescents from the Youth at Risk Program, the National Learning Center, Neighborhood Schools, Police Boys and Girls Clubs, and Homeless Shelters. The project was to create 1,110 works of public art expressing the wish to Stop the Violence. Mark collaborates with the young people to create billboards and illuminated dioramas which are attached to public buses and displayed in the Washington, D.C. metro system. Mark has been traveling to Washington each week this fall to supervise the project and direct the creation of the works.
- 1995 Capital Children's Museum Washington D.C. – Project against Violence, summer.
- 1995 Corcoran Museum of Art; August, October, and Corcoran Exhibition at HUD-Sculpture built for Museum.
- 1994 Boston College Museum: Mark Cooper-Michael Mulhern Installation:
- 1994 Fuller Museum, Brockton, MA: Mark Cooper-Recent Work.
- 1994 Fuller Museum: Shrines, Symbols, and Cherished Objects.
- 1994 Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston: Public Interventions.
- 1994 Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston: Benefit Auction.
- 1993 Boston College Museum: Contemporary Watercolors.
- 1993 DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA: Benefit Exhibition.
- 1995 Center Street Studio Gallery.
- 1995 Howard Yezerski Gallery, Boston.
- 1995 DNA Gallery, Provincetown, MA.
- 1995 Polaroid Gallery, Cambridge, MA.
- 1994 Aikeman Gallery-Tufts University.
- 1994 Boston Center for the Arts: South End Selections.
- 1994 Virginia Lynch Gallery, R.I.: Three Person.
- 1994 Photophest Holland: Polaroid Selections.
- 1994 Polaroid Gallery, Tokyo, Japan.
- 1994 Howard Yezerski Gallery.
- 1993 Aaron Gallery, Washington, D.C.
- 1993 Almeditteranea, Spain: Polaroid Selections.
- 1993 Art Institute of Boston Gallery.
- 1993 Brickbottom Gallery, MA.
- 1993 Virginia Lynch Gallery.
- 1993 Bernie Toale/Rugg Road Paper Gallery, MA.
- 1993 John McEnroe Gallery, NY.
- 1993 Birmingham England: Polaroid Selections.
- 1993 Howard Yezerski Gallery.
Commissions / Competitions / Grants
- 1995 Capital Childrens' Museum Washington, D.C. Residency for Project Against Violence.
- 1995 Corcoran Museum of Art, Washington, D.C. – work included in the permanent collection.
- 1995 Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA – work included in the permanent collection.
- 1995 IAPN Grant to Lecture, Create Sculpture in a workshop format for the Museum, and Jury the Biennial in Costa Rica – work included in the permanent collection of the Costa Rica Contemporary Museum and the Centro Cultural Costarricense-Norteamericano.
- 1995 Metatech Corp., MA – work included in the permanent collection.
- 1995 National Museum of American Art, Washington, D.C. – work included in the permanent collection.
- 1995 Ruth Mott Fund Grand for Public Art Project Against Violence in Boston, New York, and Washington D.C.
- 1994 Capitol Childrenís Museum, Washington D.C. Residency to Collaborate with Youth on Public Art Displays Against Violence.
- 1994 Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority Grant for 1,110 Public Service Advertisements.
- 1994 Ackerley Communications Grant for Billboard Space and Installation.
- 1994 Boston Co. Grant through the Fuller Museum for Exhibition and Billboard Project.
- 1994 Bread and Circus Corp. Grant for Billboard Project.
- 1994 Chesapeake Outdoor Enterprises Grant For Billboard Space and Installation in Washington D.C. area.
- 1994 Mass. Cultural Council Grant through the Fuller Museum for Exhibition and Billboard Project.
- 1994 New England Foundation for the Arts Incentive Grant through the Fuller Museum for Exhibition and Billboard Project.
- 1994 Revere Billboard Co. Grant for Billboard Installation and Space in the Washington D.C. area.
- 1994 First Night Boston Sculpture Commission.
- 1994 First Night Boston Billboard Commission.
- 1994 House of Blues Corp. Commission.
- 1994 Boston College Museum Commission Funded through the New England Foundation for the Arts Incentive Program.
- 1994 Lyons Group Commission.
- 1994 Polaroid Corp. Grant to work in the 20" x 24" format.
- 1994 Zeren Earls Commission.
- 1993 National Endowment for the Arts Grant Winner through the New England Foundation For the Arts Regional Grants Program.
- 1993 Ackerley Communications Grant for Billboard Installation and Space.
- 1993 First Night Boston Commission.
- 1993 Harris Commission.