fine arts department
Adjunct Associate Professor
Ph.D., Boston University, 1993
Dissertation: The Importance of Velázquez to Goya, Manet and Sargent
Devlin Hall 401B
Fields of Interest
Painting and Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century; Twentieth-Century Architecture; Psychoanalytic Approaches to Art; Irish Art from the 17th to the 20th Century.
Professor Nahum, while teaching a range of nineteenth- and twentieth-century courses, pursues special interests in modern architecture and its cultural context, and the application of various psychological theories to art. She has been the co-curator for several exhibitions at the McMullen Museum, including Eire/Land (2003), Edvard Munch: Psyche, Symbol and Expression (2001), and Original Visions: Shifting the Paradigm: Women's Art, 1970-1996 (1997) for which she was also the co-editor.
- "Manet's Gazes" in Medicographia, April, Vol. 33, No.2, 2011.
- "Ensor's Parrot" in A New Key: Modern Belgian Art from the Simon Collection, edited by Jeffery Howe, McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College
- "Observing Irish Romantic Landscape Painting" in Éire/Land, edited by Vera Kreilkamp, McMullen Museum, Boston College (2003).
- "Simandl's Caryatids and Hoffmann's Stoclet Tower," in The Plume and the Palette, a Festschrift in Honor of Josephine von Henneberg, edited by Pamela Berger, Jeffery Howe and Susan A. Michalczyk (2001).
- "In Wild Embrace': Attachment and Loss in Edvard Munch," in Edvard Munch: Psyche, Symbol and Expression, edited by Jeffery Howe, McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College (2001).
- "Ciarán Lennon's Hidden Scripts," Eire-Ireland, Summer (1999).
- "Eilís O'Connell: In the Roundness of Being," in Re/Dressing Cathleen: Contemporary Works from Irish Women Artists, McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College (1997).
- "Magdalena Abakanowicz," Janet Fish," "Agnes Martin," "Carrie Mae Weems," in Original Visions: Shifting the Paradigm: Women's Art, 1970-1996, McMullen Museum of Art (1997).
- "Manet in the Web of his Art and the Past," Devenir, Vol. 9, no. 3 (1997).