fine arts department
Ph.D., Northwestern University, 1979
Devlin Hall 430
Fields of Interest
Late nineteenth and early twentieth century art in Europe; American architecture.
Professor Howe teaches a wide range of courses in the history of art and architecture. In addition to surveys on 19th-century art and American architecture, he teaches upper-level courses on Frank Lloyd Wright, Symbolism and Art Nouveau, and Surrealism. Prof. Howe is the Chair of the Fine Arts department. He was the Chair of the University Arts Council, which organizes the annual arts festival on campus, from 1998-2010. He was also the associate editor of the journal of Religion and the Arts from 1996-2008.
- Courbet: Mapping Realism, Boston College: McMullen Museum, 2013. Editor.
- “Courbet: Mapping Realism,” in Courbet: Mapping Realism, Boston College: McMullen Museum, 2013, 9-19.
- “Inside Out: Courbet and the Challenge of Realist Landscape,” in Courbet: Mapping Realism, Boston College: McMullen Museum, 2013, 77-84.
- “Gustave Courbet et l’Amérique. The Belgian Connection,” in Courbet et la Belgique, catalog of exhibition, Brussels: Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium, 2013, 131-143.
- “Paul Klee and the Unseen World: Ghosts, Somnambulists, and Witches,” in Paul Klee: Philosophical Vision; From Nature to Art, ed. John Sallis, Boston College: The McMullen Museum of Art, 2012, 83-92.
- “Gustave Courbet: The American Connection,” in Courbet et Belgique, Dominique Marechal, ed., catalog of exhibition at the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium, scheduled for June 2013.
- “Fernand Khnopff: Two Studies for A Sphinx 1889 / Two Studies for Victoria 1892,” brochure published by the Patrick Derom Gallery, Brussels/New York, 2011, 3-15.
- “The Gothic Image,” introductory chapter on the Collegiate Gothic architectural style for a book on Boston College’s stained glass windows, by Virginia Raguin, to be published by Boston College. 2010.
- “The Refuge of Art: Gustave Moreau and the Legacy of Symbolism,” in Mystic Masque, Semblance and Reality in Georges Rouault 1871-1958, ed. Stephen Schloesser, Boston College: McMullen Museum of Art, 2008, 45-62.
- A New Key: Modern Belgian Art from the Simon Collection, catalog of exhibition, McMullen Museum, Boston College, 2007. (ed.).
- Houses of Worship: An Identification Guide to the History and Style of American Religious Architecture, London: PRC Publishing, 2003.
- The Houses We Live In: An Identification Guide to the History and Style of American Domestic Architecture, London: PRC Publishing, 2002. (ed.).
- Edvard Munch: Psyche, Symbol, and Expression, catalog of exhibition, the McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College, 2001. (ed.).
- The Plume and the Palette: Essays in Honor of Josephine von Henneberg, New York: Peter Lang, 2001. (ed.).
- "A 'Monster Edifice': Ambivalence, Appropriation and the Forging of Cultural Identity at the Centennial Exhibition," The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, vol. CXXVI, no. 4, October, 2002, pp. 635-650.
- "Nocturnes: Munch and Melancholia, and the Mysteries of Life and Death," in Edvard Munch: Psyche, Symbol, Expression, catalog of exhibition, the McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College, 2001, pp. 48.