Specializes in medieval English language and literature and translation studies.
- The Culture of Translation in Anglo-Saxon England (2002).
- Dictionary of Old English: Abbreviations for Latin Sources and Bibliography of Editions. Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, 1992 (with Pauline A. Thompson).
- “Lechery, Pride, and the Uses of Sin in The Book of Margery Kempe.” Journal of Medieval Religious Cultures 36.2 (2010): 169-204.
- "Accents of English: Variation, Self-Consciousness, And Language Colonization Within The United States." SMART: Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Teaching, 16.2 Forthcoming 2009.
- "Reaching High School Teachers and Students in the HEL Classroom." SMART: Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Teaching, 15.2 (2008).
- Entry on King Alfred and biographies of Alfred, Elfric, Wulstan, and Caedmon in The Oxford History of Literary Translation, ed. Roger Ellis (Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 2008).
- “Christina of Markyate.” Women and Gender in Medieval Europe: An Encyclopedia. New York: Routledge, 2006.
- “Linguistic Fragmentation and Redemption Before Alfred.” Yearbook of English Studies 36 (2006): 12-26.
- "Marriage, Socialization and Domestic Violence in the Life of Christina of Markyate." In Daungerous Love: Discourses of Domestic Violence in the Middle Ages, ed. Eve Salisbury, Georgianna Donavin, and Merrall Llewellyn Price. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2002. Selected as article of the month by Feminae: Medieval Women and Gender Index.
- "National Martyrs and Willing Heroes: Piety and Patriotism in Two English Saints' Lives." In The Propagation of Power in the Medieval West, ed. Martin Gosman, Arjo Vanderjagt, and Jan Veenstra, 191-204. Mediaevalia Groningana 23. Groningen, Netherlands: Egbert Forsten, 1997.
- "Rhetoric and Translation in Ælfric's Prefaces." Translation and Literature 6 (1997): 135-48.
- "The (M)other Tongue: Translation Theory and Old English." In The Theory and Practice of Translation in the Middle Ages, ed. Jeanette Beer, 33-46. Studies in Medieval Culture 38. Kalamazoo MI: Medieval Institute Publications, 1997.
- "Columbanus, Letter One: Translation and Commentary." Journal of Medieval Latin 3 (1993): 147-66.
- "Hermeneutics and a Dead English King." In Free Exchange 1992: Conference Proceedings, ed. Dale Schierbeck et al., 10-13. Calgary: University of Calgary, 1992.
- "Cats and Cats' Sons: Helgakvioa Hundingsbana I 18 and Beyond." Scintilla 6 (1989): 65-91.
- "Peruse This and Be Quick About It." New York Newsday, April 4, 1996, A53-54 (with Paul Lewis).
- "'As if' or 'all out of there'? Awesome or the alternative?" Philadelphia Inquirer, July 1, 1996, A7 (with Paul Lewis).
- Éamonn Ó Carragáin, Ritual and the Rood: Liturgical Images and the Old English Poems of the Dream of the Rood Tradition, The British Library Studies in Medieval Culture (London: British Library; Toronto and Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 2005. Religion and the Arts 12 (2008): 620-622.
- Michelle Warren, History on the Edge: Excalibur and the Borders of Britain, 1100-1300, Medieval Cultures 22 (Minnesota and London: Univ. of Minnesota Press, 2000). The Medieval Review (July 4, 2001).
- Paul Beekman Taylor, Chaucer Translator (Lanham MD: University Press of America, 1998). Speculum 75 (2000): 901-903.