Boston College
Home Page Faculty & Research Seminars Graduate Studies Undergraduate Studies Latest News Newsletter Department Info
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions, Helpful Hints, and Required Forms

What is a Purchase Requisition?

A Purchase Requisition (more commonly referred to as a "PO") is a form the Business Office requires in order to purchase supplies, equipment, and services. You can obtain blank PO forms in the Business Office, Room 125.

How do I complete and submit a Purchase Requisition?

You must fill out all non-shaded areas of the form, detailing vendor information, items, catalog number, price, quantity and the grant/budget account to be charged.

*All PO's must be signed by your professor before submission. Note that all unsigned PO's will be returned to the requestor.

Place all completed and signed forms in the special box labeled "Purchase Orders and Check Requisitions" located in the first floor copy room.

Should you have a rush or emergency order, please bring the PO directly to the Business Office.

*Important Note*

If there are radioactive items on the requisition, you will need to attach an approved "Radiation Authorization" sheet to the PO before submitting the order. This form can be obtained from the Business Office or from the Environmental Health and Safety Office Web site:

If you are ordering an item that contains Mercury, you must first obtain approval from Ian Parr (Operations and Safety Manager) in Merkert 125.Ian Parr will complete the necessary form to be attached to the Purchase Order.

After the Business Office processes and places your order, the yellow copy of the purchase requisition form will be returned to the requestor's mailbox for their records. The date the order was placed and a reference number (if available) will be noted on the form as well as any back order information if necessary.

What is the procedure for mailing out samples?

Due to government and shipping regulations, all samples must be securely packaged in a box or some type of container. Envelopes are to be used only for mailing documents.

You may obtain boxes and the necessary waybills by visiting the loading dock.  Please see Bill Fogerty for assistance.

How do I return an item?

Bring the yellow copy of the purchase requisition to the Business Office. Indicate whether you want a credit or replacement. The Business Office will obtain and give you a "Return Authorization Number" from the vendor and provide you with further instructions.

I am missing an item, what do I do?

Double-check the box and packaging in which the order was shipped. Some companies (such as Sigma-Aldrich) put small items in the same box as larger items. Check the loading dock and storage areas as well. If the item is not found, circle the item on your pink PO form and bring it to the Business Office. We will contact the vendor and then follow up with you.

Since most orders are shipped within a couple of days of the ordering date, it is important to report any missing or broken items to the Business Office ASAP.

I am an undergraduate student. How do I record past work hours in Kronos?

To record back hours, please see Joanne in Merkert 125 to complete the appropriate forms.

Administration & Services
Instrumentation & Facilities
Diversity & Outreach
About the Business Office
Operations & Safety
Computational Cluster
Registration & Scheduling
Contact Information