All students should complete BIOL 2000 Molecules and Cells as soon as possible. A generalized course sequence is shown below. Because there are several possible progressions through the major, depending on long-term goals, students are strongly urged to consult with their academic adviser.
- BIOL 2000 Molecules and Cells
- BIOL 2010 Ecology and Evolution
- BIOL 2040 Investigations in Molecular Cell Biology (prerequisite CHEM 1109-1110)*
- BIOL 3030 Introduction to Physiology
- BIOL 3040 Cell Biology**
- BIOL 3210 Plant Biology
- BIOL 3150 Introduction to Genomics (prerequisite or concurrent BIOL 2040)
- BIOL 3190 Genetics and Genomics (prerequisite or concurrently BIOL 2040)
- BIOL 4010 Environmental Biology
- BIOL 4070 Ecology of Plants with Lab
- BIOL 4140 Microbiology
- BIOL 4170 Microbial Genetics (prerequisite BIOL 2040)
- BIOL 4350 Biological Chemistry (prerequisite CHEM 2231)
- BIOL 4420 Principles of Ecology
- BIOL 4450 Animal Behavior
- BIOL 4320 Developmental Biology (prerequisite BIOL 3040 and BIOL 4400 or equivalent)
- BIOL 4330 Human Physiology (prerequisite BIOL 3040)
- BIOL 4570 Principles of Immunology (requires course work in cell or molecular biology beyond BIOL 2000)***
- BIOL 4590 Introduction to Neuroscience (prerequisite BIOL 3040)
- All other 4000 level biology courses (some carry prerequisite course work beyond BIOL 2000)
- 5000-level courses. Most of these courses have multiple pre-requisites.
Notes about Pre-Requisites
*BIOL 2040 Investigations in Molecular Cell Biology is a pre-requisite (or concurrent enrollment) for all of the genetics and genomics courses, and for many of the upper level electives.
**BIOL 3040 Cell Biology is a pre-requisite for the following popular courses; list is not exhaustive. Students are advised to check the course descriptions:
- BIOL 4320 Developmental Biology
- BIOL 4330 Human Physiology with Lab
- BIOL 4590 Introduction to Neuroscience
- BIOL 5090 Cellular Differentiation
***Many 4000 and 5000 level Biology courses require additional course work beyond BIOL 2000 in areas of cell or molecular biology. BIOL 3040 (Cell Biology), BIOL 3210 (Plant Biology), BIOL 4140 (Microbiology) and BIOL 4400 (Molecular Biology) all provide coverage in these areas at an intermediate level.