Recommended Course Sequencing for Biochemistry Majors
- General Chemistry 1 & 2 with Labs
- BIOL 2000 (Molecules & Cells) and either BIOL 2010 (Ecology & Evolution) or BIOL 3030 (Introduction to Physiology)
- BIOL 2040 lab (if possible)
- Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 with Labs
- One course from the cell biology list
- One course from the genetics/genomics list
- BIOL 2040 lab (if needed)
- Biochemistry sequence (either CHEM 5561-5562 or BIOL 4350-BIOL 4400)
- Analytical Chemistry and Lab
- Physical Chemistry
- Two Advanced Electives
NOTES ABOUT COURSE SEQUENCING
- Advanced Placement: Biochemistry majors who have a 5 on the AP Biology exam in their senior year may elect to begin the major with BI 304 Cell Biology and take an additional biology course that is 3000 or above.
- Calculus is typically completed by the end of Sophomore year.
- Physics can be taken at any time beginning with the Sophomore year.
- Students are encouraged to participate in Undergraduate Research, typically beginning in the Junior year; other options are available.; Students should speak to individual professors regarding research opportunities.