Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Woods College of Advancing Studies

Student Services

woods college of advancing studies

Academic advising is available to all Woods College students. Students are invited to explore their unique strengths and realistically assess limitations to best utilize their own resources.

All advising sessions and outcomes are confidential.  Issues discussed in counseling are not disclosed and are not part of a student’s college record.

To make an appointment with your academic advisor to speak on the phone or in person, contact the Woods College office at  617-552-3900, or visit us at St. Mary's Hall South, ground floor.  Appointments are available mornings, afternoons and evenings. 


Career opportunities don't just happen.  It takes planning, foresight and initiative.  Utilize the resources on campus; skilled and competent professionals are prepared to help one take charge.

The Boston College Career Center serves all students: day, evening, graduate and alumni.   Services include:

Corporate Information.  On-line resources, brochures and pamphlets describing specific companies and school systems are available in the Career Center. 

Recruiting Information and Interviews.  Each fall the Career Center publishes information on resume construction and interview procedures.  Interested students should register at the Career Center and sign up for interviews with recruiters.  Available company information and the Placement Manual offers up-to-date information for the interview.



LOANS, GRANTS. Part-time students are permitted to apply for the Federal Pell Grant Program if enrolled in at least two or more courses each semester of the academic year.  This federal program is based on financial need and the federal government deals directly with students and makes awards to all eligible applicants after performing a needs analysis on the budget information submitted.  The forms are easy to complete and may be obtained in the Woods College of Advancing Studies office.

SCHOLARSHIPS.  A limited number of scholarships are available for Woods College of Advancing Studies students.  One in memory of Dean Michael J. Harding, S.J., is a full tuition scholarship for five successive years; and four in memory of President William J. McGarry, S.J., are (a) a full tuition scholarship for five successive years; (b) a full tuition scholarship for two and one half successive years; (c-d) two full tuition scholarships for the first year of study.  All scholarships are awarded on the basis of need and demonstrated academic achievement.  Scholarship candidates must signify in writing their wish for consideration and must have fulfilled all the requirements of the entrance procedure prior to their request.  Recipients must maintain an average of 2.5 to retain a scholarship.

TUITION REMISSION.  Full-time employment at Boston College carries tuition remission for some course work.  Interested students should contact Human Resources, 129 Lake Street.  Many area employers also provide tuition benefits.  Students are urged to investigate possibilities within their own companies.

VETERAN'S BENEFITS.  The Woods College of Advancing Studies is approved by the Federal Government for the education of veterans, widows of veterans, war orphans, and children of totally disabled veterans.  Eligible students should apply through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs in order to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility. Applications can be completed online at or by calling the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

FINANCIAL AID GRADUATE STUDENTS.  Loans are basically the only form of aid for graduate students.

Tuition, fees and related educational expenses, paid by taxpayers primarily for the purpose of maintaining or improving skills required in their employment or other trade or business, may be deductible for Federal Income Tax purposes under Section 162 of the (1994) Internal Revenue Code as permitted by Treasury Decision 6291.  Further information may be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service.