Vice Provost for Research
office of the provost and dean of faculties
Teaching and research are two of the principal faculty responsibilities at Boston College. The process and products of research are essential elements in Boston College's intellectual community. In addition, the integration of research and student formation are particularly appropriate at a Jesuit university. Research Policies at Boston College
The Office of the Vice Provost for Research (VPR) seeks to provide the conditions for success for both student and faculty research at Boston College. The mission of the VPR’s Office is to design policies and procedures that make the research effort more efficient, effective, and transparent at Boston College. Additionally, the VPR’s Office assists with internal funding such as:
- Research Expense Grants (REGs)
- Research Incentive Grants (RIGs)
- Ignite Program
- Research Across Departments and Schools (RADS)
- External Grant Support
The Office of the Vice Provost for Research headlines two groups that advocate for research excellence at Boston College.
The University of Research Council (URC) advises the Vice Provost for Research about issues that affect the research success of our students, faculty, and staff. The VPR appoints faculty members for a three-year term; a current roster can be found here: 2013-14 URC Member Roster.
The University of Research Operations Committee (UROC) is a faculty driven initiative in collaboration with the VPR’s Office to improve research operations at Boston College. The primary goal of the UROC is to identify opportunities that will make conducting research at BC faster, easier, and more efficient for the Principle Investigator. Additionally, Ignite and RADS proposals will be a function of the committee. A current roster can be fund here: 2013-14 UROC Member Roster.
Meet Our Team
Thomas C. Chiles
Vice Provost for Research and Academic Planning
DeLuca Chair in Biology
Tom joined the Provost's Office in August 2013 from the Biology Department.
Executive Director of Research Administration
Bill joined the Office of the Vice Provost for Research in August 2013 from the Higgins Operations and Business Service Department.
Fiscal & Administrative Specialist
Rebecca joined the Provost’s Office in October 2010. She assists the Office of the Vice Provost for Research in a variety of tasks and can be contacted with questions regarding the office.
Fast Facts & Statistics
- Research awards at Boston College have reached an all-time high. Since 1992 there has been significant growth in the level of sponsored support at the university, increasing from $14,556,952 in the Fiscal Year 1992 to $60,133,499 in Fiscal Year 2010.
- Over the past 14 years, the number of proposals submitted increased from 167 in 1992 to 327 in 2010, while the number of funding actions increased from 138 in 1992 to 356 in 2010.
- The Boston College Libraries is a member of Association of Research Libraries (ARL), an association of 120 major research libraries in North America.