Jean McCarthy, BBS, PhD
Research Scholar in Organizational Behaviour
Jean holds an Honours degree in Business Studies, and completed her Ph.D. at the University of Limerick in 2011. Jean joined the University of Limerick’s Department of Personnel and Employment Relations in 2006, where she researches and lectures in the areas of Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource Development. Jean is also a Global Research Affiliate with the Sloan Center on Aging and Work at Boston College. She is currently a Fulbright Visiting Scholar at Colorado State University for 2012/2013, specialising in industrial and organisational psychology. Her research will examine the multi-dimensional nature of ageist attitudes in the U.S. workplace. Her other research interests include Human Resource Management in healthcare, the social psychology of prejudice, and adult learning and education.
Jean is co-director the Age in the Workplace Research Network (AWR-net), which is an international network of researchers seeking to address issues associated with identifying attitudes towards age, ageing, and the factors that impede and/or facilitate age diversity at work. As part of this role, Jean has conducted a wide range of research on behalf of a number of private sector organisations, as well as working Seanad Eireann (the Irish Senate) on ageing policy direction. She speaks regularly at international academic conferences in the area ageing and age diversity. Jean also has extensive experience in teaching at undergraduate and post-experience levels, as well as working with community-based and youthreach education and training programmes.
peer-reviewed journals (articles under review)
- McCarthy,J., Heraty, N., Cross, C. & Finkelstein, L. ‘Exploring Individual and Organizational Predictors of Tripartite Attitudes toward ‘Older’ Workers’, submitted to the Journal of Management
- McCarthy, J., Heraty, N., Cross, C. & Cleveland, J., ‘Re-Conceptualising Age in the Workplace: Who is Considered an ‘Older’ Worker?, submitted to the European Journal of Work and Organisational Psychology
- McCarthy, J., (2010) Mind the Gap - Ireland: Employers, Sloan Center on Aging & Work at Boston College, Mind the Gap No 15: October 2010.
- McCarthy, J., (2010) Mind the Gap - Ireland: Employees, Sloan Center on Aging & Work at Boston College, Mind the Gap No 15: October 2010.
- McCarthy, J., (2010) Republic of Ireland: Public Policy, Sloan Center on Aging & Work at Boston College, Global Policy Brief No 13: August 2010.
- McCarthy, J., (2010) Republic of Ireland: Workforce Profile, Sloan Center on Aging & Work at Boston College, Workforce Profile No 20: March 2010
selected conference proceedings
- McCarthy, J. Heraty, N. and Cross, C. (2012) ‘Another 30 Years: Stereotypes of Older Workers in the 21st Century’, Academy of Management Conference, Boston, 3-7th August, 2012
- McCarthy, J. Heraty, N. and Cross, C. (2012) ‘Generation at Work’. 11th World Congress of the International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management, Limerick, 26th-29th June, 2012
- McCarthy, J., Heraty, N. and Cross, C. (2011) ‘Unearthing and Understanding Attitudes towards ‘Older’ Workers: Evidence from Ireland’, EAWOP small group meeting on ‘Age Cohorts in the Workplace: Understanding and Building Strength through Differences’, Rovereto (Trento), Italy, 11-13th November, 2011
- Insights Into Time & Place Management: How do the effects of Human Resource Management (HRM) practices differ by age and gender? And, how do the effects of Time & Place Management (TPM) policies compare with those of other HRM policies? (June 2014).
- Mind the Gap—Ireland—Employers (October 2010).
- Mind the Gap—Ireland—Employees (October 2010).
- Ireland Public Policy (August 2010).
- Country Profile—Ireland (March 2010).