Kevin E. Cahill, PhD
Kevin E. Cahill is a research economist with the Sloan Center on Aging and Work at Boston College. His current projects examine patterns of labor force withdrawal, including bridge job employment and re-entry, retirement income, occupational changes later in life, and the role of employer-provided pensions in the retirement decisions of older workers. Previously, he was a Manager at Analysis Group and the Associate Director for Research at the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College. He has consulted in a variety of industries including health care, pharmaceuticals, and banking and has testified in court as an expert witness. His most recent casework included an assessment of age discrimination claims within cash balance pension plans, an assessment of competition in the pharmacy benefit management sector, and an evaluation of the impact of mandatory generic switching on patient outcomes.
Dr. Cahill is a member of the American Economics Association and the National Association of Forensic Economists. He earned his B.A. in economics and mathematics (with honors) from Rutgers College and his M.A. and Ph.D. in economics from Boston College. Dr. Cahill’s research has been published in The Gerontologist, Research on Aging, Monthly Labor Review, Topics in Economic Analysis and Policy, Current Medical Research and Opinion, Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy, and Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, and by the Center for Retirement Research, the Center on Aging and Work, and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- The Impact of Hours Flexibility on Career Employment, Bridge Jobs, and the Timing of Retirement (December 2013).
- Occasional Flexibility: Small Request; Big Impact (November 2013).
- Retirement Patterns and the Macroeconomy, 1992 - 2010 (2013).
- Are Gender Differences Emerging in the Retirement Patterns of the Early Boomers? (2013).
- New Evidence on Self-Employment Transitions among Older Americans with Career Jobs (2013).
- The Relationship between Work Decisions and Location Later in Life (2012).
- Older Workers and Short-term Jobs: Employment Patterns and Determinants. (2012)
- Reentering the labor force after retirement (2011).
- Early Retirement: The Dawn of a New Era? (2011).
- How Does Occupational Status Impact Bridge Job Prevalence (2011).
- Employment Patterns and Determinants Among Older Individuals with a History of Short-Duration Jobs (2010).
- Bridge Jobs: A Comparison Across Cohort (2009).
- Self-Employment as a Step in the Retirement Process (September 2008).
- Down Shifting: The Role of Bridge Jobs after Career Employment (April 2007).