On This Page...
Undergraduate Program Description
The Department of Management and Organization offers an undergraduate concentration in Management and Leadership, which focuses on building the human and social capital of the organization. The department also offers a minor in Management and Leadership for students in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Lynch School of Education.
Concentration in Management and Leadership
While technical skills can be critical in landing an entry-level job, management and leadership skills are essential for promotion into the managerial ranks. This concentration focuses on the skills and knowledge that employees will need to manage and lead others.
The concentration is completed by taking four courses beyond the required courses in the Carroll School of Management Common Body of Knowledge, which includes MB 021 Organizational Behavior or MB 031 Organizational Behavior—Honors. MB 127 Leadership is the cornerstone of the concentration. Students must choose at least three additional electives from a variety of courses.
Required of all concentrators:
- MB 021 Organizational Behavior or MB 031 Organizational Behavior—Honors
- MB 127 Leadership
- MB 110 Human Resources Management
- MB 111 Ethical Leadership Skills
- MB 119 Communication and Personal Branding
- MB 123 Negotiation
- MB 130 Leading Change in Organizations
- MB 133 Leading High Performance Teams
- MB 135 Managing Your Career
- MB 137 Managing Diversity
- MB 139 Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- MB 140 International Management
- MB 145 Environmental Management
- MB 150 Transitions: Learning How to Learn in the World of Business
- MB 170 Entrepreneurial Management
- MB 265 Globalization, Culture, and Ethics
- MB 270 Ethics of Risk
- MB 299 Independent Study (by permission of instructor)
- MB 313 Research Methods for Management
- MB 548 Leadership and Mindfulness
Minors for Students Outside of the Carroll School of Management
Students in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Lynch School of Education may minor in Management and Leadership. The minor is completed by taking six courses, including MB 021 Organizational Behavior or MB 031 Organizational Behavior—Honors and MB 127 Leadership. Students must choose at least four additional electives from MB courses.
Information for Study Abroad
Students may take one or two electives abroad to count toward either the Management and Organization concentration or minor. In addition, it is sometimes possible to take the equivalent of MB 021 abroad. However, this must be approved prior to finishing the course by the Chairperson of the Management and Organization Department, who will need a detailed copy of the course syllabus, assignments, and readings.