Visiting Scholars at Boston College
The Office of the Provost issues invitations for domestic and international faculty, researchers, and graduate students to visit Boston College as Visiting Scholars. The primary purpose of Visiting Scholars is to participate in research or other activities that require their presence on campus. Their research should be largely self-directed; the arrangement should not serve as a training program. These invitations imply no financial commitment or provision of faculty benefits or employment on the part of Boston College. Visiting Scholars are self-funded and ineligible for compensation and reimbursements from Boston College. They are neither employees nor students of the University.
The initial term of appointment should be no longer than one year (12 months), but re-appointments are permitted.
Visiting scholars enjoy full access to the Boston College libraries and may request an email account from the university. Depending on the arrangement with the sponsoring faculty, access to research and laboratory facilities may be provided, but office and lab space are not guaranteed.
How to invite Visiting Scholars:
- A Boston College faculty member must serve as the sponsoring faculty member in order to bring a Visiting Scholar to campus.
- The sponsoring faculty/department completes a Visiting Scholar request and submits it to Billy Soo in the Office of the Provost (firstname.lastname@example.org). This request should come from the same contact person (often the department administrator or the chair) in each department.
- A complete request contains:
- A letter from the department chair or dean stating the name of the Visiting Scholar, his/her country of citizenship, the dates of the visit, the faculty sponsor, and the fact that BC owes the Scholar no financial remuneration.
- The Scholar’s current CV, which should contain a mailing address and an email address.
- The email from the department contact should contain the words “Visiting Scholar” in the subject line.
- A complete request contains:
- For International Scholars: The Office of International Students and Scholars (please click link here) will be copied on the official letter issued by the Provost’s Office. They will contact the Scholar and begin the process of issuing a visa if necessary.
When Visiting Scholars arrive on campus:
- All visiting scholars should check in with their departmental contact person upon arrival. The department contact person should:
- Ensure that the Scholar has signed and returned the Intellectual Property Agreement to the Office of the Provost.
- Remind the Scholar that all Visiting Scholars are required to have health insurance (for themselves and any accompanying dependents while in the United States) that is in compliance with regulations set forth by the US Department of State.
- For those Scholars working in laboratories: department contact people/sponsors should ensure that the Scholar receives the proper lab training.
- International Visiting Scholars only: Upon arrival, you are required to register with the Office of International Students and Scholars.