Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Boston College Pregnancy Services

The emotional, spiritual, and health issues during a pregnancy can seem overwhelming. At Boston College, we make every effort to provide you with a supportive environment intended to assure confidential, non-judgmental, caring, professional assistance. We also provide support to others affected by the pregnancy. There are many resources  available to you that will assist you in continuing and completing your degree.

The goal of the University is to provide a comprehensive support team that emphasizes caring and personal respect. If you are pregnant, or you know someone who is pregnant, the following information describes the support services available at Boston College as well provides information and the names of individuals who are ready to assist you. Please feel free to contact Katie Dalton, at the Women’s Center, or any of the individuals or offices listed for a consultation. All consultations will be handled confidentially.


What should I do if I think I might be pregnant?

First, know that you are not alone. Boston College is a supportive community that has many resources available to you.

Call University Health Services at 617 552-3225 to speak with a registered nurse.  You may also prefer to make an appointment with counseling services by calling 617 552-3310.

BC Health Services provides free pregnancy tests on a walk-in basis. Health Services is located on the first floor of Cushing Hall. You may also wish to make an appointment to see Yolanda Hobin, one of the Nurse Practitioners who provide women’s health evaluations. To do so, call 617 552-2225.

If I reveal I’m pregnant, will I be dismissed from the University?

No. The Boston College community will make every effort to provide you with a caring, supportive environment, and will provide academic and practical resources to assist you in completing your degree.

Can I take a leave of absence? 

Yes, some pregnant students decide to take a leave of absence, although it is not required. Your academic dean can help you coordinate your academic plans. See Academic Planning section.

If I am raising the child, how will I manage after the birth? 

University Counseling Services is able to assist students in problem-solving about how to manage student life as a parent. The Women’s Center also has a variety of resources available on parenting.




Health Services

University Health Services provides confidential, free pregnancy testing. Call 617-552-3227 to make an appointment. Health Services can also help arrange referrals with  off-campus physicians, provide nutritional guidance, and answer questions about what to expect during pregnancy.

Thomas I. Nary, M.D. , Director
617-552-8493 or

Counseling Services

Boston College offers the services of caring, trained professionals to help you explore your feelings – about yourself, the father of the child, family and friends – and help you cope with other pregnancy-related issues you may be facing. Please feel free to make an appointment by calling Counseling Services at 617 552-3310. 

Dr. Craig Burns, Director

Pastoral Care

The Division of Mission and Ministry offers a vibrant and gentle approach to pastoral care.

Kate Daly, Assistant Director, Volunteer and Service Learning Center
617-552-1317 or





You are welcome to remain a student at  Boston College throughout your pregnancy and beyond. Becoming pregnant does not mean you have to give up pursuing your degree. You are strongly encouraged to meet with your academic dean to discuss options for academic planning.

Academic Advising Center

Akua Sarr, Director
617-552-6870 or


Carroll School of Management

Richard Keeley, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Program
617-552-3932 or


College of Arts and Sciences

William H. Petri, Senior Class Associate Dean
617-552-2800 or

Michael Martin, Acting Junior Class Associate Dean
617-552-6870 or

Clare Dunsford, Sophomore Class Associate Dean
617-552-3274 or

Akua Sarr, Freshman Class Associate Dean
617-552-6870 or


Connell School of Nursing

Sean Clarke, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Program
617-552-4250 or


Lynch School of Education

Audrey Friedman, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Student Services
617 552-1901 or


Woods College of Advancing Studies

David Goodman, Interim Associate Dean
617 552-3455 or



If you are currently living in University housing, you are welcome to remain there during your pregnancy. While children are not allowed to live with either parent while on  campus, the Office of Residential Life can assist in locating off-campus living arrangements for students returning to classes with their babies, through the off-campus housing office.   

Jessica Graf, Assistant Director
617-552-3060 or


Educational Financing, Financial Services, and General Student Services

Should you choose to take a leave of absence, the University may be able to arrange for a credit or refund of tuition, as well as a credit or refund of room and board charges and other fees based upon your withdrawal date. Your Financial Services Associate can explain to you any possible impact to your   financial aid package and help you understand the process. Finally, Student Services will confirm that your academic and financial arrangements have been properly recorded – and will ensure the confidentiality of all of your records. 

Louise M. Lonabocker, Director of Student Services
617-552-3318 or

Kathleen McGuinness, Director of Academic and General Service
617 552-4976 or