university health services
Do you want to quit smoking?
Here are some tips to help:
- Spend more time in smoke-free places
- Keep cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays out of sight
- Find new habits and activities that can’t be done while smoking such as jogging, cooking, swimming etc.
- Keep things like lollipops, pretzel rods, celery and carrot sticks handy when you have a craving
- If you get the “crazies” relax through taking a bath, hot shower or meditating
- Reward Yourself
Know that withdrawal symptoms only last 1-2 weeks
Even if you aren’t ready to quit now, try cutting down first:
- Set a quitting target date
- Smoke one less cigarette each day
- Postpone lighting your first cigarette for an extra hour each day
- Smoke only half of each cigarette
Relapses occur most often in the first week. If this happens, don’t give up, try again!
NEED MORE HELP?
CALL 617-552-3225 TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH HEALTH SERVICES