university health services
Things to know before piercing:
- Piercing guns can NOT be fully sterilized so make sure your piercing is done with a new, sterile needle.
- Piercing guns can put you at risk of contracting Hepatitis B or HIV/AIDS.
- Piercings in the upper ear need to be taken care of 2-3 times a day for 2-3 months before it fully heals.
- Tongue piercings need to be cleaned 12 times a day for 6-8 weeks.
- Naval piercings need to be cleaned twice a day for at least 9 months, and then daily in the shower for the life of the piercing.
SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY AT THE FIRST SIGN OF INFECTION!
For more information about cleansing solutions and preventing infections check out:
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH'S WEBSITE
Information taken from C. J. Mulvihill and C. Peterman-University of Pittsburgh http://www.pitt.edu/~cjm6/s97pierc.html