university fellowships committee
Sophomores and Juniors may apply.
The primary goal of the Freeman-ASIA Program is to increase the number of American undergraduates who study in East and Southeast Asia, by providing students with the information and financial assistance they will need. Awardees will be expected to share their experiences with their home campus to encourage study abroad by others, and to spread understanding of Asia in their home communities.
To be eligible for a Freeman-ASIA award, you must meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents at the time of application.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled as undergraduates in a U.S. college or university and be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must currently receive financial aid or have verifiable need for financial assistance to study abroad in Asia.
- Priority will given to students with no previous experience in the Asian country in which they plan to study.
- Awards are available only to students who plan to study abroad in the following countries/regions: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Within three months after return from a study abroad program in Asia, awardees must fulfill a service requirement to promote study abroad in Asia on their home campus and share their knowledge with their community.
- Boston College's study abroad adviser must verify financial need and endorse a student's application, before it is submitted to the Freeman-ASIA program.
The amount of Freeman-ASIA Awards are determined by the length of the study-abroad program. For a summer program (minumum of four weeks abroad) the Award is $3,000; for a semester program, $5,000, and for an academic-year program, $7,000. If program costs are less than the Award amount (or covered by existing financial aid) students can use the Freeman-ASIA award to cover related expenses such as airfare, living costs, books, etc.
Applications must be submitted to the Freeman-ASIA program by the Boston College Campus Coordinator no later than November 1 for Spring semester study-abroad, March 1 for Summer abroad, and November 1 for Fall or Academic-Year abroad. However, there are earlier deadlines for submission of application materials to the Boston College Freeman-ASIA Coordinator. Interested students are urged to contact the Coordinator well before the formal deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Awards are made on a rolling basis, so you may apply as early as you like.
All students with an interest in the Freeman-ASIA Awards are urged to talk with the Boston College Freeman-ASIA Campus Coordinator. If you would like additional information about the awards and the application process before talking with the Campus Coordinator, consult the Freeman-ASIA web site.