Graduate Student Full-Time Enrollment Status
office of student services
Graduate full-time enrollment is as follows:
- Carroll School of Management—9 or more credits
- Connell School of Nursing—9 or more credits
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences—9 or more credits
- School of Social Work—9 or more credits
- Law School—12 or more credits
- Lynch School of Education—9 or more credits
- School of Theology and Ministry—9 or more credits
- Woods College of Advancing Studies—9 or more credits
All students are considered half-time with six credits.
Students completing degree requirements in their final semester may be given exceptions to the school’s minimum credit standard for full-time status by their academic dean.
The credits amounts listed above are used to determine a student’s enrollment status for loan deferments, immunizations, medical insurance requirements, and verifications requested by other organizations.
Graduate schools may also define full-time status by a student’s course work or role responsibilities as listed below:
- Students in the Law School may, in extraordinary circumstances and with the permission of the Dean for Students, enroll in as few as 9 credits in a semester and be considered full-time.
- All doctoral candidates in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are full-time. Master's candidates are full-time if they are Graduate Assistants for academic departments, Teaching Fellows, Teaching Assistants, or Research Assistants.
- All doctoral candidates in the Carroll School of Management are full-time. Master's candidates may be given exceptions to the school minimum credit standard for full-time status by their academic dean in exceptional situations.
- Graduate students in the Lynch School of Education are full-time if they are enrolled in: APSY7940, APSY7950, APSY7660, APSY7940, APSY7941, APSY7950, APSY7951, APSY7661, APSY8101, APSY9846, APSY9849, APSY8100, APSY9846, APSY9941, APSY9988, APSY9901, APSY9911, EDUC7420, EDUC7610, EDUC8100, EDUC8830, EDUC9936, ELHE6620, ELHE7952, ELHE6623, ELHE6652, ERME8100, ERME8101, ERME9941, EDUC9951, ELHE8100, ELHE9988, ELHE9901, ELHE9911. Doctoral students are considered full-time if they are Graduate Assistants for academic departments, Teaching Fellows, or Research Assistants.
- Graduate students in the School of Social Work are full-time if enrolled in SCWK9959 Doctoral Publishable Paper Writing Project, SCWK9994 Integrative Dissertation Seminar, SCWK9995/SCWK9996 Dissertation Direction, SCWK9997 Dissertation Direction III, SCWK9911 Doctoral Continuation, SCWK9929/SCWK9939/SCWK9949 Field Continuation.
- Graduate students in the Connell School of Nursing are full-time if enrolled in 9 credits of coursework, or enrolled in a Nursing Clinical Practica course or in Dissertation Advisement including NURS9902 or NURS9903.
- Graduate students in the School of Theology and Ministry are full time if enrolled in TMST8101, TMST8528, TMST8529, TMST8530, TMST8543, TMST9901, or TMST9911. Doctoral students are considered full-time if they are Graduate Assistants for academic departments, Teaching Fellows, or Research Assistants.