Pre-Kindergarten, Childcare, or Head Start Cancellation
Please note: Some of these files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.
If you are receiving or applying for an employment-related deferment or cancellation benefit, you are required to use Boston College's forms, which may be obtained from the link below. If you have questions or concerns about cancellation and deferment benefits, please contact Boston College directly at 1-800-294-0294.
Effective August 14, 2008, the Head Start program was expanded to include eligibility for a borrower working as a full-time staff member in a pre-kindergarten or childcare program.
Head Start Program: A full-time staff member is someone who is regularly employed in a full-time professional capacity to carry out the educational part of a Head Start Program. The program must operate for a full academic year or its equivalent, and the borrower’s salary may not be more than that of a comparable employee working in the local educational agency. An authorized official of the Head Start Program must sign the borrower’s cancellation form to certify the borrower’s service.
Childcare Program: A program that is licensed and regulated by the State and provides childcare services for fewer than 24 hours per day per child, unless care in excess of 24 consecutive hours is needed due to the nature of the parents’ work.
Pre-Kindergarten: A state-funded program that serves children from birth to age six and addresses the children’s cognitive (including language, early literacy, and early mathematics), social, emotional, and physical development.
The cancellation rate is 15% of the original principal amount for each complete full year of employment.
- Borrower must apply for the deferment and cancellation by obtaining the specific cancellation forms from Boston College.
- Borrower must provide employment verification; proof of license, registration, or certification; and any other documentation that the school requests to show that he or she qualifies for cancellation.
- Forms must be submitted by the deadlines established by Boston College.
- None of the loan may be cancelled for services performed either before the date the loan was disbursed or during the enrollment period covered by the loan.
- Defaulted loan amounts are not eligible for cancellation. Only cancellations for time prior to acceleration will be allowed.
- Payments made by a borrower during a period for which the borrower qualified for cancellation may not be refunded.
Download a Pre-Kindergarten, Childcare, or Head Start Cancellation form (PDF).