Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions
Please note: Some of these files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.
NEW! Ask Baldwin (PDF)
Answers to the more frequently asked questions.
- I am a prospective student at Boston College. How do I apply for aid and what are the deadlines? Do I need to apply every year?
- Will my chances of acceptance be diminished if I apply for aid?
- Is it possible to obtain a fee waiver for the CSS Profile?
- I want to apply for financial aid but my parents cannot complete their Federal Tax Returns by your application deadline. What should I do?
- I, the student, did not file taxes, so how can I waive my student tax requirement?
- If I do not qualify for aid, can I reapply as an upper class student?
- Will I receive the same financial aid award in future years?
- If my parents are divorced or separated, do they both need to send in financial information?
- I notice my award notification says that my financial aid is conditional. Does this mean my financial aid award could change upon receipt of additional documentation?
- What is Federal Work Study? How do I get a work study job?
- I'm expecting to receive outside scholarships from my high school or other sources outside of Boston College. How will these affect my financial aid award from Boston College?
- Why does my award differ from what FAFSA said my Expected Family Contribution (EFC) was?
- I received a better financial aid award from another university. Will Boston College match the other school's award? How can I get BC to increase the amount of aid I was offered?
Current Undergraduate Students
- I am a current undergraduate student at Boston College. How do I apply for aid and what are the deadlines? Do I need to apply every year?
- How will my financial aid award be affected if I live off campus?
- How will my financial aid award be affected if I study abroad?
- I am interested in being a Resident Assistant (RA). How will this affect my financial aid?
General Financial Aid Questions
- What is Boston College's federal school code?
- Where should I mail financial aid documents after I have filled them out?
- How do I check the status of my financial aid application?
- How will the Undergraduate Financial Aid Office communicate with the student?
- What is the income cut-off for financial aid eligibility?
- My parents will not be claiming me as a dependent on their tax returns. Can I file my financial aid applications as an independent student?
- What if one or both of my parents refuse to contribute to my education?
- What can I do if my parents are unable to meet the parent contribution?
- I am interested in paying my bill over time. Are there any payment options available?
- What is the difference between a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
- Where should I mail outside scholarship checks?
- How do I view my bill?
- How do I request a refund from my student account?
- My online application status says that the Incoming Student Validation Form is required. What does this mean?
- I don't see my College Work-Study award deducted from my bill. Why?
- As a first time borrower, what requirements are needed in order for my federal student loans to be disbursed?
- How can I find out more about my federal financial aid?
- What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
- My FAFSA was selected for Verification. What does this mean?
- What is the FSA ID?