What is Verification?
Verification is a process by which the Department of Education or the Institution verifies the information provided on your FAFSA through collecting federal income tax data. If your FAFSA was selected for verification, students and parents can complete this process by providing the following information:
For 2017–2018 Applications
- If you have filed a 2015 federal tax return, please submit a complete signed copy of your 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
- If you have not and are not required to file a 2015 federal tax return, please submit copies of your W-2 forms from all employers that paid wages in 2015, along with the Income Tax Non-Filer Verification form.
- Additional documentation may be necessary to complete the process of verification. Please review your document status on My Services or contact the Office of Student Services for more information.
For 2018–2019 Applications
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to update your FAFSA with 2016 tax information.
- If you do not select the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on your FAFSA, you will need to submit 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcripts. For more information, visit the IRS Verification Process web page.
- If you have not and are not required to file a 2016 federal tax return, you will need to provide an IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter along with copies of your W-2 forms from all employers that paid wages in 2016 and an Income Tax Non-Filer Verification form.
The IRS Verification of Non-Filing letter is required from:
- Parents (of dependent students) who did not file a tax return.
- Independent students and/or their spouse who did not file a tax return.
Dependent students who did not file a tax return are not required to submit an IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter.
Copies of your federal tax returns, along with all schedules and W-2 forms, still must be submitted directly to the Boston College Financial Aid Processing Center as part of the standard financial aid application process, even if your FAFSA was not selected for verification.
Boston College Financial Aid Processing Center
P.O. Box 67486
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467