Register for Classes Using U-View in UIS
Register for Classes
To register for classes on the University's Information Systems (UIS), you will need to run BC UIS from your program menu or desktop. It has been configured to open automatically to BC's University Information System (UIS) screen.
If a login window does not open up when you start the application, try "Choose Options" from the Setup menu. Type bcvmcms.bc.edu in the Default Host box and click on the OK button. The UIS Login screen will appear. Follow instructions below.
- Enter your username and password. Press the enter/return key.
- To register for courses, type in the number for Administrative Systems. Press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. Type in the number for "U-View Your BC Records." Press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. Type in the number 2 for Student Information and then "R." Press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard after each selection.
- Enter the 4-digit index number at the left of the course (for example,
9749) or the 4-letter subject code, 4-digit course number, and 2-digit
section number (for example, FREN220902). Press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. If the course is available, you will be given the following options:
- Done: To update your schedule and exit
- Save: To update your schedule and continue
- Back: To retrieve your schedule thus far
- Choose one of these options and type it on the line underneath your last course. If you have not finished registering for courses, be sure to "Save" often, so you do not lose your seat in any of your course selections.
- To log off from the registration screen, type "Done." Press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. Then follow the instructions on each subsequent screen. Exit the registration transaction completely and then reenter to ensure that you have registered successfully for all your courses.
Use the "Browse Courses" screen to search for all (a) or open (o) sections of a course or to search by course title. From the registration screen, type "?" over the course to find open or all sections of that course or type "?" on a blank line and then the department abbreviation (ex: BI for Biology). Check course status to determine if it is open or restricted.
If you want a particular section, enter the number on the upper left-hand side of the Browse Courses screen and then press enter. Type "R" to return to the registration screen without making a selection. Press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard.
If any of the error messages listed below appear next to a course, then it is not available:
- Corequisite: You need to add the course's corequisite to your schedule. The options for the corequisite are listed at the bottom left of the screen. Choose one and then type the index number on the next available line.
- Course Closed: There may be no seats left in the course or the department may be holding seats or sections of courses so they are unavailable during certain periods of registration.
- Department Permission: Some courses including all graduate courses may be available to undergraduates with department permission only.
- Duplicate Course: You may have listed two sections of the same course.
- Invalid Index: You have entered an incorrect index number. Search "Course Information & Schedule" in your Agora Portal for the correct number.
- Restricted: Course may be restricted by school (e.g., For Education Only), by degree (e.g., For Doctoral Students Only), by major (e.g., For Economics Majors Only), or by class year (e.g., For Freshmen Only).
- Time Conflict: You have listed two courses that are scheduled at the same time or overlap a period of time.
You will not be able to add this course or save your schedule unless you resolve the problem or remove the course from your schedule.