Volunteer and Service Learning Center
BE PART OF SOMETHING BIG
BC BIGS is a partnership between the Volunteer and Service Learning Center (VSLC), Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay (BBBSMB), and Big Sister Association of Greater Boston (BSA) where BC students can serve as mentors to young people in Boston. BC BIGS is a great way to get involved in the Boston community, make a difference in a young person’s life, and meet other BC students who share similar passions.
BC BIGS is now accepting applications for all sites for 2018 - 2019, apply here! After you apply, your application will be sent to either Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay (for males) or Big Sister Association of Greater Boston (for females) to begin the matching process.
Before you apply, please ensure you review the following requirements:
- In addition to meeting with your little brother or sister (see details of the program-specific time commitments below), all BC BIGS must meet with their small, peer-led reflection group every other week for 1 hour for the entirety of their time in the program. No exceptions!
- All BIGS must attend the orientation the semester they are matched as well as semesterly trainings and events
- There is a minimum 3 semester commitment (therefore we cannot accept rising seniors)
- If you are matched at a T accessible site we cannot reimburse you for fare
- BC BIGS cannot accept students who are already participating in 4Boston because of the time commitment and limited number of spaces in both programs
- All BIGS must communicate regularly with their match support specialist as well as BC BIGS staff and leadership
BC BIGS Franklin Field is a campus-based mentoring program, where Little Brothers and Sisters from Franklin Field Housing Development in Dorchester are transported to campus on alternate Saturdays throughout the year. During the academic year there are approximately 15 structured events lasting about 3-4 hours. Bigs and Littles share in the fun large-group programming, and then have one-on-one time each week as well.
Please note: The BC BIGS Franklin Field Program involves a larger time commitment than the other BC BIGS Programs.
These are school-day mentoring programs where Big Brothers and Big Sisters meet their Little Brothers or Little Sisters on a weekly basis at a local Boston Public school for lunch and recess. A Big can help make school a more fun and enjoyable place to be by spending time with their Little, eating together, playing sports, sharing stories, doing arts and crafts, or simply sitting and talking together. The commitment is one hour per week with your Little, plus any travel time into Brighton or Allston.
Visit McElroy 114