reserve officers' training corps (rotc)
Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) is a program focused on developing leadership and management skills, with the ultimate goal of commissioning graduated college students as Second Lieutenants into the United States Army, Reserve, or National Guard in a wide variety of career paths. Students participate in ROTC part-time while attending college full-time.
Most training and coursework takes place on the Boston College campus where approximately 35 students participate in the program. Any BC student can join and participate in the ROTC basic course as a non-scholarship Cadet without military obligation during their freshman and sophomore years.
Academic and Skills Training
Army ROTC academic and skills training consists of two parts:
- Basic Course, usually attended by freshmen and sophomores;
- Advanced Course for juniors and seniors, including attendance at the Leader Development and Assessment Course (LDAC) and a Military History course for which credit is granted by course work in an approved BC history or political science course.
ROTC at BC includes the following:
- Military Leadership classes meet one to three hours each week;
- Physical Fitness Training (PT) meets three times weekly from 6:00 to 7:15 a.m.;
- Leadership labs (24 hours per semester of practical exercises focusing on basic military skills) are conducted weekly;
- One weekend-long Field Training exercise per semester;
- One major social event per semester;
- Informal social events and training opportunities;
- Periodic community service and local outreach events;
- Cadets participate and lead Color Guards and optional Drill, Running, Ranger Challenge, and Recon Challenge teams.
Any BC sophomore, junior or graduate student may join by attending the Cadet Initial Entry Training (CIET) at Fort Knox, Kentucky, where they will earn constructive credit for the Basic course. For more information see the curriculum.
For more information complete this online inquiry form and a Boston College Army ROTC Cadre member will contact you.