Archbishop Oscar A. Romero Scholarship Information
About the Scholarship
The Archbishop Oscar A. Romero Scholarship recognizes a Boston College junior who has demonstrated superior academic achievement, extracurricular leadership, community service, and involvement with the Hispanic/Latino community and Hispanic/Latino issues both on and off campus. The scholarship awards up to $25,000 toward senior year tuition for the winner. In addition, all finalists in the competition also win scholarships of up to $3000. The winner and all finalists also receive $1000 gift certificate to the Boston College Bookstore.
Requirements for Candidates
- A full-time Boston College junior
- Understands & represents the values & ideals inherent in the life of Archbishop Oscar A. Romero
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Demonstrate an outstanding record of involvement in, and service to, the Hispanic/Latino community at Boston College and in the wider community
- Involved with Hispanic/Latino issues and Hispanic/Latino community
Application Materials – Due Friday, January 25, 2016
- Preliminary application: One-page preliminary application form along with a comprehensive resume or list of activities should be submitted to Ms. Milvia Sanchez, ITS Human Resources; e-mail attachments only at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 25, 2016. For any questions feel free to contact Milvia at 617-552-0102.
- Interview Round: The strongest of the preliminary applicants as determined by the committee will be selected for an interview. They will also be asked to submit a supplementary essay and Latin American/Latino issues and at least one letter of recommendation from someone familiar with your extracurricular activities or service activities. The finalists and the 2014 Archbishop Oscar Romero Scholarship recipient will be selected from those interviewed.
- Statement of Certification and Release: All applications must include a signed Certification and Release statement in order to be considered.
Announcement of Scholarship Recipient
Finalists will be notified in early March by e-mail. The announcement of the scholarship winner will be made during the award ceremony, which will be held in Spring 2016. It is expected that the scholarship recipient will address the audience during the ceremony.