Hall Openings and Closings
office of residential life
Ever wonder how over 7700 students manage to move in and out of the residence halls so many times a year? Well, to be honest, it's not easy!
The purpose of this page is to give you — whether a student, parent, or administrator — a better understanding of the annual transition periods. Please direct any questions to email@example.com or 617-552-3060.
There are four main transitions throughout each academic year:
- Fall Opening: Takes place at the end of August through the beginning of September.
- Winter Break Closing: Takes place after finals end throughout early December. Students are not required to move their belongings out of the halls (unless they are permanently departing the University).
- Spring Opening: Takes place during early to mid-January.
- Spring Closing: Takes place at the end of finals in mid-May. Students are required to move out of the halls completely.
There are also four transitions throughout the summer that overlap with the academic year. The summer transitions schedule is updated and published every Spring.
Early Arrivals & Extensions
- Early Arrivals: Students wishing to return to campus before the official hall opening must request and receive early arrival status.
- Extensions: Students wishing to stay on campus after the official hall closing must request and receive an extension approval.
Webpages with detailed transition period, early-arrival, and extension information and forms are published online according to the schedule below. Those pages are taken down to be updated once the transition period has passed.
|Transition Period||Month Published|
|Winter Break Closing||November|
This page links to PDF files. Use this link to download Adobe Reader if needed.